Options

Lighting in Layers: David Hobby

ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
edited April 20, 2011 in The Big Picture
David "Strobist" Hobby has put his knowledge into a set of 5 DVDs called Lighting in Layers. It's available from Adorama for $159.

Each DVD covers several different subjects for each shoot. The assignments, lighting technique, a lighting book review (which is something we should all keep for future use).

As you work through the lessons, you notice each disk includes several "assignments" and a "Biz Talk" or two. As you'd expect, the disks build on one another using a variety of different subjects and complexities. For the shoots, we always see the shoot, the light placement, some intermediate frames and then a "lighting book" discussion using diagrams.

Whether you're just starting out or are an accomplished flash user, Lighting in Layers is an investment you'll find yourself working with for some time to come.
Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?

Comments

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    I just ordered it as part of Flash Bus. Nice to know I ordered the right reference. Now when does April 11 get here so I can go to Flash Bus?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2011
    You're going to have a great time at the Flashbus seminar!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    I was lucky enough to get one of the preview copies of these and it is MAGIC! Still working my way through it, but it just reinforces to me what a great teacher (and great guy) David is. I can't believe I was lucky enough to work with him "onsite" for the HoCo Conservancy shoot! Very sad I can't do TFB session near me.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to get one of the preview copies of these and it is MAGIC! Still working my way through it, but it just reinforces to me what a great teacher (and great guy) David is. I can't believe I was lucky enough to work with him "onsite" for the HoCo Conservancy shoot! Very sad I can't do TFB session near me.

When he talked about that project in the DVD's, you can tell it was close to his heart. The photos and the project were a real treat to see happen.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    After taking the class I am looking forward to watching the DVDs. I am really happy to see that they included a media player version in the kit.

The HoCo project sounds like a blast DM!
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    I was at the NYC Flash Bus seminar. It was fantastic!!!
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2011
    I'm glad you guys enjoyed the Flash Bus Tour!
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2011
    man I missed this. I never even knew about it until this week! :( And to think I have the RSS feed from Mcnally and Strobists blogs! :(

Hope they do one more round.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2011
    One of them is often on tour. I think either would be great to see but what I liked was how much Hobby helps you understand the layering process. McNally is a practical guy and he just does stuff which makes seeing the two of them really advantageous. At least I thought so.

Another very good flash guy is Syl Arena. His new book is out and worth a look.