Options

Photographic Existential Crisis

indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited March 25, 2011 in The Big Picture
I've been having a bit of a photographic existential crisis. Over the course of the year, I've learned as much as I've learned in my whole life about photography (and that's saying a lot because I can't remember a time when photography wasn't a huge part of my life). I've also seen what the current market is like (super saturated) and the popular styles. I'm left in a big heap of, "What am I doing here and why" questions.

I think about style and I think about what's popular and I wonder if I'm just another rider on a huge bandwagon. I want to take pictures of people engaged in life. I don't want to pose, I don't want perfection to shine through. How do I fit this all into a career? How do I carve that niche? I'm doing what I do and I'm doing it well. When I see what's being done (and being done WELL) around me, I wonder if I'm fooling myself.

In the midst of all of these thoughts, we had breakfast on Sunday with friends. I took my camera and took the kinds of images which get me going, that tell the story of life.

1224449025_gXHtj-M.jpg

1224449149_Kj23s-M.jpg

1224449262_o2YfF-M.jpg

1224449336_Gkw26-M.jpg

And I left feeling much better. But I wonder, am I fooling myself thinking I can make a life of this? I'm not asking for compliments or criticisms on my work. I'm just wondering if you have any advice or have been in a similar space. What did you do? What keeps you going?

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    Well it seems to me that the conundrum is that you need to convince YOURSELF that what you do is correct for other people.....meaning that before you can convince a prospect to hire you ...you need convincing that you are good at what you do....all you need to do is to be able to market your self without any doubt showing up in your marketing....I know I talked in all sorts of circles and I apologize for that......Oh I forgot....yes you are good enuff......but remember most people want polish...even if we as artists don't.......so give the paying client polish and then schedule in some time for truly artistic work.....and you keep your sanity...give the client polish + a little of what you truly love and see if they go for it....they will talk....but you still need to convince the prospect that they need you........................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    Your work is unique, and uniquely inspiring; I feel absolutely confident there's a market for it, particularly in your part of the world where original, slightly quirky, not-cookie-cutter lifestyles are part of the landscape too.

HOWEVER... you may find, like most artists (in any medium), you wind up doing what I call "paycheck gigs" to keep things rolling along when the artistically satisfying gigs aren't necessarily prime bread and butter. In your case I feel confident those WILL be your main bread and butter in due course, but in the meantime, it may be a case of taking what comes along and playing some games with yourself by, Hitchcock-style, turning each thing into a personal assignment. I do this with less-than-satisfying singing gigs all the time. It doesn't necessarily satisfy me in quite the same way, but at least it keeps me from getting bored or discouraged in some potentially artistic-soul-destroying circumstances. And, of course, I learn more that way just by exploring (even if only within myself).

Not sure that's much of an answer, really, but I can concur that what you're experiencing is part of the artistic condition, I think. I've long been convinced that self-doubt is often what keeps us going, so while it's never fun (and needs to be tamed lest it become emotionally destructive), it can also inspire us to reach higher, in however small a way.

Good luck. Know that at least one person (ME) thinks your work is potentially iconic. You *see* things.
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    indiegirl wrote: »
    But I wonder, am I fooling myself thinking I can make a life of this?

Being artistic and commercially successful are not exclusive of one another. Some artists would like them to be, but that is another story.

You can choose to remain dedicated to your style and still be commercially successful. It isn't going to be as easy as conforming to the broadest desires of the potential client base.

I can tell you from personal experience that once you go down the easier road, it is much more difficult to get back to the artistic road. Usually it will be personal projects not paid assignments.

There is nothing wrong with drawing a line in the sand and strictly being an artist. You just have to accept that it will take more work on your part to get to the same end result. Not only will you have to find the clients, but you will have to convince them to the artistic approach.

A lot of photographers go through this thought process. Do what you love or do what pays the bills. A few lucky ones manage to do both.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    I do what you seem to have done - go out and do something just for fun.

You have a remarkable knack of making contact with your subjects and reflecting that in your photographs with a simple and direct style that I like a lot. Having doubts is natural for anyone trying to direct their own lives and trying to improve. We are our own worst critics. It is not confined to artists.

In your work you also have plenty of reasons for being self confident. I suppose 99% of people who use a camera are trying to do what you do when you take family pictures or capture normal life, but few do it as well as you do while making it seem so effortless. I would be delighted to have a fraction of your abilities as a photographer.
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    Dear Christopher, Steve, Diva and Art:

I am truly humbled by your words and advice. Thank you for your encouragement and perspective. I hope I can return the support to you all when you need it someday.

bowdown.gif
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    Tough question.
    I can only tell you my own experience.
    I started taking pictures of people 6 years ago, at first I sucked at it....I know because a lot of people on the internet told me I sucked at it :).
    ....but I stuck with it. Then I got into weddings and made a lot of money over a 3 year period but was creatively starving.
    Now I am backing off from the weddings....I decided for me being creative was more important than making money (I have a regular job). Now I am back to shooting the kinds of photos I like and find rewarding, and working on growing my talents in a manner that is creatively satisfying to me (not making any money at it but don't care, I was paying 50% of what I made in taxes anyway).

If you are trying to make photography a profession you will need to make compromises. You will have to follow the money....wherever that turns out to be for you.
    If you like shooting kids then do that, there is certainly a market for it.

The posted shots are candid on location kid photography.....lifestyle portraits for children....go market it!!!!!!!!!
    You may have a winning idea there.
    Making money doing what you love, what could be better?