Options

Officially Unofficial for #72

indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited March 26, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Post your feedback or just your favorites for challenge #72: underneath or above.
It's fun to do. Try it. You'll like it.

Here are my favorites, in no particular order:

1224605129_nHyUV-L.jpg

I'm posting nine this time because it fit so nicely into an action set I have. :doh

There were three others I liked a lot, too: lkbart - Parallel Dimensions, photo-bug - There is nothing new under the sun, and sweetharmony - A Very Apparent Aversion to Adventure.

WTG! Another fun round.

Comments

• Options
    silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    A fantastic round and lots of great images. Very hard to choose the top, but here's my attempt at a top 10 (in gallery order):

bf2015 - A Higher Power
    - I don't normally like HDR (normally hate it), but this is done tastefully and doesn't detract from the subject one bit. In my opinion, it adds to it instead and really pulls me into the image.
    1220879540_VbJDr-S.jpg

Molotov Everything - Under the gun
    - I love the take on the theme. Simple, yet effective.
    1221255689_fGnXJ-S.jpg

Kolibri - Under the Angels.
    - This is just plane (pun intended) cool. Would rather have seen the Thunderbirds, but this zoomie is a bit biased.
    1221389804_8dpwc-S.jpg

MichaelLockhart - "Underneath the Deception Pass Bridge"
    - Awesome! Love the lines, love the "abstractness" and love the B&W treatment.
    1221924929_PF5vv-S.jpg

Aspecto5 - Free
    - Great capture and right on theme to boot!
    1222214400_vfjT8-S.jpg

indiegirl - Flying High
    - This is just a fun shot. Great expression and the costume dept. did a wonderful job thumb.gif.
    1222976473_Q76Vs-S.jpg

ghinson - Moon over Miacomet
    - Seems like a cliche shot for the challenge (mwink.gif) with the lunar event timing, but I really like the simplicity in the shot.
    1224015915_WpRC5-S.jpg

sapphire73 - Over and Under
    - There is so much here that is keeping me engaged in the shot from the lines to the colors to the crew-member. Wonderful!
    1224321781_mi7nt-S.jpg

JamesVernacotola - Underneath a Starry Sky
    - What can I say? I'm a sucker for star trails.
    1224335046_QJTxN-S.jpg

DsrtVW - Going In
    - Another very cool shot that's keeping me engaged with the lines and colors.
    1224523186_GbhDe-S.jpg
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    Top Ten!!
    1225541897_HTBtc-L.jpg
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    1229313828_EUVBi-L.png

Thought I'd try to spread the wealth a little this time (might even make it a habit...)

So first off - another round of clap.gif's to sapphire73, dnie, Kolibri, JamesVernacotola, and PhotoMuse for really cool stuff this round!

My collage consists of other images that caught my eye this round, too. In no particular order:

SimpsonBrothers (It's Under Here Somewhere) - Hope you found whatever it was under there that you were looking for! I know there are several approaches to HDR. This one is among the more stylized approaches out there, and I can't say I'm usually a big fan, but this is really well done. I keep looking and looking and seeing something different each time. Almost makes we want to give HDR a try... almost.

JAN1PRS (Round and Round) - I'm not really sure why this one keeps me coming back. Perhaps the combination of shapes, textures, colors and wondering what the heck this is (was). Nevertheless, it's very cool.

Johnloguk (In The Rat Race) - There's a real sense of place here that goes beyond the confines of the tunnel. I can imagine the rest of the adjacent world and invent where each of the subjects might be going. This one, I think is way underrated, based on the number of votes you received. Nicely captured!

JR303 (Courage Unseen) - As I mentioned in another recent post, my absence of late from the forums is a combination of work pressures and a the family impact of sister-in-law's recent diagnosis of breast cancer. Your title is SO right on. My recent exposure to the challenges and uncertainty facing such a diagnosis provides clearer understanding of the enormous courage needed to face the demons of cancer. Thanks for sharing this poignant image.

lnorm (Lit from underneath, shot from above) - So simple and so effective. It's wonderful perspective, color variation and effectively diffused light source come together so nicely. Top it off with textbook rule of thirds composition and it really works well. Kudos!

Sfau (a wall) - Okay, I understand that the connection to Underneath or Above is a stretch here (I'm presuming that your intent was the original adobe brick underneath the deteriorating top surfaces of the wall). Regardless, this really grabs my attention. The color palette is fascinating and there's more than a touch of mystery about what's behind that iron grate door. I really like this one a lot!

photo-bug (There is nothing new under the sun) - Your photo, like the sapphire73's winning one - nicely captures both aspects of the challenge topic. You've pulled together several complimentary components here to put a nice image together.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited March 26, 2011
    Billseye, I really like what you have done here in affirming so many of the other great entries in this round. Would follow suit but we're heading "down under" in the near future and there us too much to do.