My shot at the moon!

CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
edited March 25, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Damn its hard getting the exposure right!
I think I got close on this one. I cant wait to get my zoom lens and try again :)

1224804160_PKn8K-L.jpg
Jeromy
http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
Light is everything in life and photography.

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    Hi Jeromy. The exposure looks fine but as you realize a longer lens is needed to bring out the detail. What lens/camera were you using? Is this a resized original shot or did you crop it some. Reason I ask is cause cropping the original at 100% would give you a larger image with more detail and of course possibly more noise depending on your equipment. What long lens are you thinging of getting?

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    Hi Jack!

I was using a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM 1-to-1 Macro Lens on a 50D sitting on a Tripod with a Remote Shutter Release. I got the lens last Thursday and love it so far. I still have so much to learn about Macro shooting!

My only other lens at the moment is a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM (I love it)

The telephoto I want and will be my next lens will be a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS :)
    Of course I'm letting the wife get over all the money Ive spent this year already before I even try to get that one :D
    It has only been a few months since I upgraded all my equipment. Was using the standard entry Rebel and Lenses.
    I can not believe the difference good equipment can make! Of course learning how to take the pictures helps to :)

The image is cropped the most I felt comfortable cropping it. Anymore and the edges start to zig and zag.
    I was thinking about playing with it a little more today. I will see what I can come up with. Still learning the ins and outs of PS.

Have a great day!!
    Jeromy
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    Wow, I have the same macro lens and plan to go out and find some small things to shoot today (I will attempt tethered shooting of ants in the jungle here :) I have used it with great success for portrait photo's, like this one of my mother:
    766565564_bciuf-XL.jpg
    I have the old (Mk.1) version of the 70-200mm 2.8L and it gets used as often as my EF-S 17-55mm so yes, you really want to sneak that one past your wife :) Here's a recent shot I took with it (these fellows are 25 feet up in a tree; I used a mono-pod and cropped the photo)
    1219293105_nZqha-XL-2.jpg

I might have a go at the moon, the trouble is that we live on a boat so I need to find a good spot ashore for this... which is very close to the jungle here which isn't really safe at night haha :)

ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    CHANDLERJA wrote: »
    Hi Jack!

I was using a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM 1-to-1 Macro Lens on a 50D sitting on a Tripod with a Remote Shutter Release. I got the lens last Thursday and love it so far. I still have so much to learn about Macro shooting!

My only other lens at the moment is a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM (I love it)

The telephoto I want and will be my next lens will be a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS :)
    Of course I'm letting the wife get over all the money Ive spent this year already before I even try to get that one :D
    It has only been a few months since I upgraded all my equipment. Was using the standard entry Rebel and Lenses.
    I can not believe the difference good equipment can make! Of course learning how to take the pictures helps to :)

The image is cropped the most I felt comfortable cropping it. Anymore and the edges start to zig and zag.
    I was thinking about playing with it a little more today. I will see what I can come up with. Still learning the ins and outs of PS.

Have a great day!!

Well you've got some great lens there. I have the Nikon 105mm f/2.8 macro lens, and the AF-S Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 G ED, plus the Nikon AF-S VR 70-200mm f2.8 G ED lens plus the Nikon AF-S 300mm f/4 and a few others. You are going to love the macro lens once spring brings out the flowers and bugs! I find the 24-70 and the 70-200 are nice walking around lenses. I wouldn't get my hopes up on taking good moon shots at 200mm though. You really need long focal length to get good results. Here's a couple of moon shots I took using a TC1.4 teleconverter and the 300mm lens.

1. On a D700 full frame body (effective focal length 420mm)

2. On a D80 DX body (effective focal length 630mm)

Enjoy the new gear.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    Nice Jack!

Nice images Nick! I do love this lens.
    I had a good time this weekend searching for bugs to shoot.
    Below are two that I thought looked ok for my first time out :)
    There is so much to learn with macro shooting. I love it!

1227166414_Tkd3Q-XL.jpg

1226496686_GXCji-XL.jpg
    Jeromy
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    #2 the beetle is great! :)

I went out with the 100mm macro today and went to the Chagres river. The shot with the ants has the ring-flash mounted on the macro lens!

#1 Leafcutter Red Ants (shot tethered with laptop)
    1227828512_GiPe7-XL.jpg

#2 a HDR with this macro lens... it can do anything (3 exposures handheld :-)
    1227682974_uacq8-XL.jpg

I've read so many reports from people who bought this lens and are very happy with it. It's a winner.:D

ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here