Options

The Agony of My Defeat

MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
edited March 24, 2011 in Sports
I hate it when this happens.

I inadvertently hit the mode dial and shifted into aperture priority and missed a number of shots before I noticed. This has not happened in quite awhile.

Grrrrr....

I have a D7000 and a D90 with similar mode dials that are easily nudged.

Anyone have some ideas on preventing this besides :
a. buying a different camera or
b. using gaffers tape to keep the dial in place.

I typically use autoISO with shutter priority, and do not even pay attention to what I had previously set in the AP or M mode. So, before each game, I plan to change the AP and M settings to max aperture, bump up the ISO, so even if the dial gets nudged, I still have a decent shutter speed.

Any other thoughts are welcome.

1225585770_Leueu-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    It happens. Wish I had a good answer for you.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    Well as I was reading Gaffers leaped into my mind...then alas you did not want that as a solution.....so I cannot be of any help...gaffers is 99.9% of my solutions for restricting the movement of something temporarily ....especially if a good gaffers is used it will leave no residue behind when it is removed......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    You can always configure U1 and U2 to the same preferred settings, as well as the settings for M. Then shoot in U2, and if it gets bummed back to M or forward to U1, you're still okay. Kind of defeats the purpose of U1 & U2, but its an option.

This happens to me every once in a while (D7000), and its no fun, but usually for me I'm nudging the command dial and messing up my shutter speed and don't realize it until its too late.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    I upograded the body from a D90 and that was one of the issues..but I can see that is not one your prefered solutions as well. Yup, it happens. Pro bodies have a lockout feature.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    Art,
    I will probably use some gaffers tape.
    I am not opposed to that idea, just looking for other options that perhaps I had not thought of.
  • Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    I think everbody has done something like that at one time or another.
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    Happens to me as well. I end up having to put gaffers tape over the shutter speed adjustment dial on my vertical grip because I'll review images only to find I'm shooting too far or way below sync. I've seen myself go from 1/200 to 1/80 to 1/400. Gaffers tape saves the day.