Fire swallowing (NSFW)

dyfrgidyfrgi Registered Users Posts: 3 Big grins
edited April 13, 2011 in Go Figure
There was a bit of fire swallowing, breathing, poi, etc. at a party I was at recently. Pulled out my camera and took a few (hundred) exposures - the light was really challenging, since it was thoroughly dominated by the fire. There was a glass window on one side with some fluorescent lights shining out, providing a bit extra, and the moon was full. The light would routinely change 5 stops from one activity to the next, though. I wound up mostly shooting on manual since otherwise it'd expose poorly for both the fire *and* the people.

I got a few good shots of one person doing fire swallowing. For much of it, she was topless, hence the choice of forums. Here's a couple of my favorites.

1222132195_xgvkZ-XL-1.jpg

1222131920_F9RKq-X2-1.jpg

More here, including some fully clothed firebreathing: http://dyfrgi.smugmug.com/Events/Fire-at-Kiernans-Spring-2011/

One note, if you should find yourself shooting fire play: take off any filters you have on. Until I took off the UV filter I had on the lens I was getting horrendous green ghosting. Looked kind of neat in a few shots, but it wasn't really what I was going for.

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited March 23, 2011
    Pretty darn cool. thumb.gif
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    Man, she's really hot rolleyes1.gifNice shots thumb.gif
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    I'm really loving that first shot. The smoke is pretty awesome, and you have a nice diagonal going on there. Lovely light.
  • eleganteyeeleganteye Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    Fun images. Thanks.
  • synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    Very nice, got the exposure and composition just right!
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.