Bottom of the Canyon

drdoakdrdoak Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited March 24, 2011 in Landscapes
This is a bit belated, but these are from a trip I took last year down the Colorado through that grandest of canyons. Since I'm hoping to go back this year, any thoughs and comments are appreciated. This was my third trip and I try to improve each time. There are, of course, always more where these came from.

1180331145_rr7pD-L.jpg

2. & 3.
1180307329_NYZpd-L.jpg1180309955_ZgkJ5-L.jpg

1180634684_rWmQd-XL.jpg

1180400704_KKV5z-L.jpg

6. & 7.
1180397259_854EW-L.jpg1180396586_Baed5-L.jpg

1180842490_o8w2U-L.jpg

1180383892_vFmHA-L.jpg

1180449244_f3XXu-XL.jpg

One of these is HDR, three are IR (830 and 590nm). The rest are some combination of B&W, regular old color or a hybrid of the two. One very nearly ate my camera. Two are stitched.

If you happen to know what the plant in #6 is, maybe you'll fill me in?

Hope you enjoy some or all!
...and the river flows through our souls...
www.chrislindbergphotography.com

Comments

• jttphotojttphoto Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    I spent a semester in college studying the Grand Canyon and got to spend a week on the river. These bring back a lot of memories. I really like #4 and #5. I think #4 is my favorite of the bunch. The plant might be peyote. It's a very powerful hallucinogen when consumed. Is #10 Vasey's Paradise? Good work. It really makes me want to get back on the river again, despite how cold the water is.
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    What a great set, I have a number of favorites! I would love to see the canyon from that vantage point someday.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • drdoakdrdoak Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    jttphoto wrote: »
    I spent a semester in college studying the Grand Canyon and got to spend a week on the river. These bring back a lot of memories. I really like #4 and #5. I think #4 is my favorite of the bunch. The plant might be peyote. It's a very powerful hallucinogen when consumed. Is #10 Vasey's Paradise? Good work. It really makes me want to get back on the river again, despite how cold the water is.

#10 is Deer Creek. Your trip probably stopped at the foot of this waterfall. There're very strong gusts eminating from the bottom of the falls; as one might imagine when a waterfall suddenly turns 90 degrees!

This is Vasey's (which I only ever get to photograph in STRONG light):
    1180319979_FWziM-M.jpg

You should listen to that voice! Grand Canyon is where it's at.
    Just go in the summer and stand in the water up to your thighs while in direct sunlight. The top half of you will be very comfortable, though your feet will still go numb in about 60 seconds...
  • senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    Very nice set. 4 and 5 really capture the feel of the canyon. I've never taken anything but a throwaway camera on the river, I'd love to do a trip now and focus on photos. The plant in question is definitely not peyote, but without knowing the color and seeing some more detail I can't even hazard a guess. You don't happen to have any other views of it do you? The interesting thing about it is the couple inches of tap root exposed, indicating that when this plant sprouted the sand level on the beach was that much higher. Wind and or water erosion have been at work here.
    Jay
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 24, 2011
    Nice shots. These are a good compliment to the GC aerials I just posted. I like the crazy action shot in #9, and the waterfall in #10.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    Really makes me want to take this trip!

When viewing #9 one thought leaped to mind, "Pelican Case".

Sam
  • drdoakdrdoak Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    senorjax wrote: »
    Very nice set. 4 and 5 really capture the feel of the canyon. I've never taken anything but a throwaway camera on the river, I'd love to do a trip now and focus on photos. The plant in question is definitely not peyote, but without knowing the color and seeing some more detail I can't even hazard a guess. You don't happen to have any other views of it do you? The interesting thing about it is the couple inches of tap root exposed, indicating that when this plant sprouted the sand level on the beach was that much higher. Wind and or water erosion have been at work here.

Had to go process one of the RAWs, but I've got one. White leaves have got to narrow the possibilities... This plant is at Upper Fat City (mile 191.5) on a big cobble bar. Fantastic views!

1181868684_RVm6c-L.jpg

1227483199_5rMys-L.jpg
    Really makes me want to take this trip!

When viewing #9 one thought leaped to mind, "Pelican Case".

Sam

I like to call this one "Howie's Face Plant." He really got hit straight on.

I had a watershed duffel this particular trip. Made me miss my Pelicans from the two preceding motor trips ;). The zip locks get harder to use as the days wear on... Next time I'm trying to go for a belt based setup stuffed into a top loading Pelican 1430. Not enough room on the oar boats for my big a** cases! They make nice chairs too.
    Nice shots. These are a good compliment to the GC aerials I just posted. I like the crazy action shot in #9, and the waterfall in #10.

I was looking through your aerials yesterday, love that #1. Papillon helicopter? I went to the rim for years before I rafted down the river the first time. It's really an entirely different animal from the bottom.

If anyone has a particular opinion, what are your thoughts on #2 specifically? It was a 590nm IR shot with the red/blue channels swapped. Somehting about the offset colors and the waterfall really drew my eye.

Thanks for the comments so far!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    Beautiful set! I like #2 especially knowing how you achieved it, but I am even more blown away by your great b/w conversion. Especially #3. thumb.gif