Options

Maintenance Window Sucks

2»

Comments

• Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    I was using SE and it failed to shut-down properly when I tried to stop it and it lost my upload queue. Bugs in SE kept it from working properly in this case.
    That truly sucks. :cry
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    Andy, do you offer an uploader that can upload across multiple galleries robustly that will succeed 100% of the time without any manual intervention even though there are temporary connectivity issues or a maintenance window interruption? That's what both Samir and I are looking for.
    Well put. And I also need the ability to use up all available bandwidth by whatever means neccessary.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    mannguyenmannguyen Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 29, 2011
    Is this why I haven't been able to upload anything in the last 7 hours?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    mannguyen wrote: »
    Is this why I haven't been able to upload anything in the last 7 hours?

Hi, no. We did have troubles last night for about an hour, then it was fixed. You should be able to upload right now, if not, please write our Support Heroes with details thanks.
  • Options
    Zone99Zone99 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    Yes, maintenance windows do suck. They are troublesome and inconvenient and force us to change our workflow. I was surprised by it as well but I also have not paid attention to the announcements and warnings given by the Smugmug team so...my inconvenience is my fault, really. Once I realized what was happening, it became a matter of just being patient. Uploading returned to normal this morning (well, at least mostly. Uploading is happening but the processing at the site is SLOWW....and affecting uploading. However, I'll hit up support for that if it doesn't clear soon).

Maintenance windows are, however, necessary. Andy has said multiple times that they picked the time least likely to affect a majority of their users. Unfortunately, since Smugmug customers seem to span the globe, there's never a good time where someone won't get affected.

Personally, I'm glad Smugmug has the maintenance windows and is committed to improving the service. There are likely other solutions or other approaches to the type of maintenance that happened in the last 24 hours and perhaps a less disruptive process can be found. Given my experience with Smugmug, I am confident that they will examine the user feedback, the process and the effectiveness of this one and plan for a different approach that may be more streamlined.

In the meantime, I will pay closer attention to announcements, change my workflow as necessary and plan for them.

I'm paying a lot of money (relatively) for a Pro account. I'm glad it's being put to good use.
    "I'm just very selective about the reality I accept" - Calvin

http://zone99.smugmug.com

Nikon D300
    Nikkor 18-70 DX
    Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 ED
    Nikon SB-600 Speedlight
    Couple o' other lenses I never use!