Attempt at "Old School" type shot

Jago-ViGJago-ViG Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited March 28, 2011 in People
So I was trying to get an old photo type feel (without losing any sharpness). Not sure if that makes any sense at all - I guess the colouring was the main direction I was going for that old school look.

I'd love any CC on this or just general thoughts on what you think and, if so, how you'd make the shot better or what you might have done to make it a nicer shot.

Thanks!

5513762928_d1ef3e725c_b.jpg

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    Jago-ViG wrote: »
    So I was trying to get an old photo type feel (without losing any sharpness). Not sure if that makes any sense at all - I guess the colouring was the main direction I was going for that old school look.

I'd love any CC on this or just general thoughts on what you think and, if so, how you'd make the shot better or what you might have done to make it a nicer shot.

Thanks!

5513762928_d1ef3e725c_b.jpg

I do like the tones...
    I just can get passed the bright area to her left but that's more of a composition issue.
    Plus it almost looks like he's (the guy behind her) wielding a sword or something....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Jago-ViGJago-ViG Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    Totally agree - I hate that bright spot - I actually darkened it too. I'm going to try and darken it again using PS and some layering. Last time I had to do it fairly quickly and it looked far too obvious that I'd tinkered with the picture.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    Jago-ViG wrote: »
    Totally agree - I hate that bright spot - I actually darkened it too. I'm going to try and darken it again using PS and some layering. Last time I had to do it fairly quickly and it looked far too obvious that I'd tinkered with the picture.

Thanks for the feedback!

I never have much luck with that kind of stuff even if I try to clone it out :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    For an old school look....

Remember that film has a much greater exposure latitude than digital. If possible....avoid cramming in too much contrast. Here you have plugged (lost detail) in the shadows. Film would have captured detail there.

thumb.gif
  • Jago-ViGJago-ViG Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback - I guess I wanted the colouring to look old school and not necessarily the quality but I like your thinking here. There is plenty of detail in the original so I might play around with it. Having said that, the background is going to require a lot of work and I have 750 photos to go through and edit from a party this weekend so that will take priority!