Property Release???

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited March 26, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I had the pleasure of listening to architectural photographer Robin Hill speak yesterday.

At one point he spoke about taking images of some world famous areas in the city. He said that in some instance a property release is needed.

So my question is, how does that work? How do you get a property release for taking images of world famous area/street/buildings.
For example, lets say you take a picture of Ocean Drive and the world famous Art Deco Buildings in South Beach, Miami, how do you know if a property release is needed and if so, who signs it?? Also, what does this do for you?? Allow you to sell the images?

Thanks
R.
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    A release (no matter what type) is done so that you (the photographer) and the end user may use the image for a specific set of reasons. 99.9% of the time this release involves commercial activity. It offers a level of protection.

If you are not engaging in some form of commerce, the odds of you needing a release are slim and none.

However, getting a release can open up opportunities for commerce at some later point down the road that you may not be thinking about today.

Read this about property releases. I also suggest that you search around on this site for other releases that you may have questions about.
    Steve

Website
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 26, 2011
    Rick:

At the top of the MYOB forum there's a sticky thread "Photog Resources" where you'll find lots of valuable information on this subject.

In a nutshell - if you're not selling your image of a recognizable building to a third party for commercial use (i.e. advertising a product) stop worrying.