Options

great hairy eyeballs.

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited September 29, 2005 in Holy Macro
Another shot with my emergency macro lens (Pentax Kmount 50mm lens on Kmount extension tubes on my canon 300D).

headshot of a spotted wood butterfly- never had the hairy eyeballs show up so well before- beginning to think this setup works better than my dedicated macro lens ne_nau.gif
Pic is cropped.

47383094_da2104324b_o.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2005
    I went out with bird in sydney back in the 80's...........................
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    Another shot with my emergency macro lens (Pentax Kmount 50mm lens on Kmount extension tubes on my canon 300D).
    And a pentax-to-canon adapter, I assume? Where did you get the adapter?

And one more "q" . . . one extension tube, all three stacked - what config of extension tubes is your preferred combo??

Very cool shot! Wow.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    And a pentax-to-canon adapter, I assume? Where did you get the adapter?

And one more "q" . . . one extension tube, all three stacked - what config of extension tubes is your preferred combo??

Very cool shot! Wow.
    I had a canon T mount adapter which I knocked out the Tmount ring from and then superglued the canon part of the adapter to the smallest of the rings.
    Can't say I have a preferred combo of rings- I was using all the ones I had which with the mount gives about 7.5cms of rings. Main problem using this is trying to get focus with the aperture manually set at F11 rolleyes1.gif as the lens is fully manual (ie no auto stop down when taking the pic)

I did try sticking a telemore95 converter in the middle of the rings and got some interesting effects- the focus distance increased quite markedly but I had trouble with the light (forgot about losing 2 stops).
    Brian V.
  • Options
    Humungus wrote:
    I went out with bird in sydney back in the 80's...........................
    You'll have to explain that one- beyond me!

Brian V.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    Never Seen Such Hairy Eyes Before

headshot of a spotted wood butterfly- never had the hairy eyeballs show up so well before- beginning to think this setup works better than my dedicated macro lens ne_nau.gif
    Pic is cropped.
    Wow he does have hairy eyeballs doesn't he ..... your Macro work is very stunning Lord Vetinari as per usual :D

I noticed while I was in America how much bigger the bugs are over there compaired to where I live, even the ants are almost 3 times the size of the ones found around my place, and also your flies are bigger too.

I thoroughly enjoy the many pictures you share on this forum, your work is just amazing......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    You'll have to explain that one- beyond me!

Brian V.
    I think he's saying it looks like a former girlfriend of his.

Better looking than most of mine, I must say. rolleyes1.gif

Fantastic picture by the way.
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Wow he does have hairy eyeballs doesn't he ..... your Macro work is very stunning Lord Vetinari as per usual :D

I noticed while I was in America how much bigger the bugs are over there compaired to where I live, even the ants are almost 3 times the size of the ones found around my place, and also your flies are bigger too.

I thoroughly enjoy the many pictures you share on this forum, your work is just amazing......... Skippy (Australia)
    Thanks Skippy,
    Well everything is bigger in the US isn't it?
    I'm from the UK BTW- we also only have small discreet insects :D

david_h wrote:
    I think he's saying it looks like a former girlfriend of his.

Better looking than most of mine, I must say. rolleyes1.gif

Fantastic picture by the way.
    Thanks again dav-d_h.
    Ah that explains it.

Brian V.
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    A beautiful hairy:wow shot Brian. The bug needs a shave.

I figured that you had to have a gallery somewhere and glad I found them. Nice to see all those wonderful shots all togetherclap.gif.

Also, do you use ettl with your Sigma flash (I just bought one and used it on my mantis shots). I found that the ettl was lighting up the background too much, but then I'm probably not using it correctly either (mantis was shot using manual mode).

Thanks for sharing all your wonderful bugs,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    A beautiful hairy:wow shot Brian. The bug needs a shave.

I figured that you had to have a gallery somewhere and glad I found them. Nice to see all those wonderful shots all togetherclap.gif.

Also, do you use ettl with your Sigma flash (I just bought one and used it on my mantis shots). I found that the ettl was lighting up the background too much, but then I'm probably not using it correctly either (mantis was shot using manual mode).

Thanks for sharing all your wonderful bugs,
    Chris
    Thanks Chris,
    Yes I do use ETTL on the flash. You just need to play with the FEC on the flash if it's not quite right. I'm actually using no FEC adjustment right now, but it does depend on the diffuser etc. I use the wideangle diffuser built into the flash, but be carefull with it- I managed to scorch the main diffuser by too much fast use because deploying the wide-angle diffuser causes the zoom to bring the flash bulb very close to the main diffuser. I've actually removed the main flashgun diffuser on mine now.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    Thanks Chris,
    Yes I do use ETTL on the flash. You just need to play with the FEC on the flash if it's not quite right. I'm actually using no FEC adjustment right now, but it does depend on the diffuser etc. I use the wideangle diffuser built into the flash, but be carefull with it- I managed to scorch the main diffuser by too much fast use because deploying the wide-angle diffuser causes the zoom to bring the flash bulb very close to the main diffuser. I've actually removed the main flashgun diffuser on mine now.
    Brian V.
    Thanks for the tip. I've never really used flash in the past so when I have, it's always been on manual. There are so many options on this flash that I forget to see what else I can use (options wise). Plumb forgot about FEC so I guess I'll have to give that a go.

I've been using a doubled up paper towel for my diffuser lately. Gotta find something better.

Thanks Again,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister