The path to where?

brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
edited April 1, 2011 in Landscapes
I went out today to shoot an old factory, apparently it is frowned upon and not allowed, so I had to leave with no shots. I stopped by a place on my way home that my son calls "Hollywoods" (we never knew the name so we made one up) and snapped these real quick before I got to cold. Taken with my Canon 60D, tripod, -2,0,+2 and photomatix pro, I did not have PS on the mac that I processed on so I will touch them up later in PS. Anyways, I am new to HDR so any feedback would be appreciated - doesnt just have to be "it's over cooked" but any help on composition, if I should have shot lower to the ground, if I had showed at a different angle etc are all helpful for me to grow.

1228495107_Ws5NP-M.jpg

1228491706_qHf3z-M.jpg

Comments

• squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    i quite like the moody, somewhat ominous look in the second one.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    thank you :)
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    Second, definitely. Like squirl033 said...moody. :)
    I don't really like the brightness of the first.
    edited March 27, 2011
    Thank you Bend :)
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    I like the second one also, because of the higher angle you shot at, with more of the trees showing. It looks like I could step into that photo. Also like the darker sky, as noted above. Nice shots! Best, Pam
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 28, 2011
    You should post your shots bigger. I viewed the second in XL size and it looks a whole lot better than it does here in M size. You did a great job on the HDR. The scene is pretty good, not great. It is indeed a path to nowhere, but nowhere ain't all that interesting. :giggle
    edited March 28, 2011
    PGM wrote: »
    I like the second one also, because of the higher angle you shot at, with more of the trees showing. It looks like I could step into that photo. Also like the darker sky, as noted above. Nice shots! Best, Pam
    Thanks Pam :)
    kdog wrote: »
    You should post your shots bigger. I viewed the second in XL size and it looks a whole lot better than it does here in M size. You did a great job on the HDR. The scene is pretty good, not great. It is indeed a path to nowhere, but nowhere ain't all that interesting. :giggle

Thanks Kdog -

Really? Bigger was better? Help me understand what you mean by the scene was pretty good but not great - is that directed at pure subject matter or is there something I could have done that would have made it great? Inquiring minds...cant get better if I am not real sure about the CC - help me please :)
    edited March 28, 2011
    brvheart wrote: »
    Thanks Kdog -

Really? Bigger was better?
    Really. There are some nice details in the shot which to my eye present better in a larger size. That's a subjective call though. If you're happy with the presentation in a small size then by all means go with it.
    Help me understand what you mean by the scene was pretty good but not great - is that directed at pure subject matter or is there something I could have done that would have made it great? Inquiring minds...cant get better if I am not real sure about the CC - help me please :)
    I thought I was pretty specific in qualifying my statement with the following sentence which you seemingly did not read.
    kdog wrote: »
    It is indeed a path to nowhere, but nowhere ain't all that interesting. :giggle
    Allow me to elaborate. But first please note the tag line above my avatar and under my username: "Artistically Challenged". What I'm about to say reflects my own personal tastes which in no way is any kind of professional assessment. In fact, being artistically challenged, I freely admit I don't know what I'm talking about above and beyond my own personal tastes.

That being said, you have a nicely detailed path, with NOTHING at the end of it. Ok, to be fair, there's a little patch of green there. Otherwise, there is nothing to hold my interest. When one sees a path with strong leading lines into a vanishing point perspective, it draws your eye in. But what's to see when you get there? Nothing. ne_nau.gif It's a let-down -- to me. Maybe an educated art critic would rave about it, but for me it doesn't quite work. Shooting at a different angle ain't going to change the scene. I'm sorry, but it's just not that compelling a scene FOR ME. Your handling of the HDR is good, which I also already said as well.

Here are links to a few shots of mine that may or may not illustrate the point I'm trying to make about using leading lines to terminate at a point of interest.

http://www.desertilluminations.com/Landscapes/Carrizo-Plain/MG545234tonemapped/1230978387_N9ntP-XL.jpg

http://www.desertilluminations.com/Animals/Bosque-del-Apache/IMG5332/1138866119_b7na4-XL-2.jpg

http://www.desertilluminations.com/Animals/Bosque-del-Apache/IMG5246/1138515669_28y8C-XL-2.jpg

Regards,
    -joel
    edited March 29, 2011
    Hi Joel -

Thank you for the feedback - I do understand what you are saying here now that you explained it a bit further. Had I gotten that from your first post I would not have asked to elaborate, but I am glad you did. I do understand the that there is nothing at the end of the path - but simply the entire scene has nothing at the end of the path lol. It is a wetlands with a path that is circular and comes back to where it started - so no matter where I took the shot it would have looked very similar. I guess for me it was more of an exercise for two things -

1. HDR - I love HDR shots and have just started taking them. This was my second attempt.
    2. Starting to apply what I have learned from feedback - using leading lines, rule of thirds etc. I feel that until now, I have just been more of a "snap shooter" rather than a composer - meaning point, shoot but having a rather nice camera to do it with. I am now wanting to push myself to get better and learn what really makes that shot work. I think that I have captured that in these two shots - I liked the composure, the leading lines, and the solace in the subject matter.

Do I agree that having nothing at the end is a let down? I can see it both ways - I myself am artistically challenged and dont fully understand everything that makes a frame work, so I am guessing that you are in the majority - I will try to apply that concept next time.

Question - to make the leading lines and path shot work - if there was say a body of water at the end (Ocean, Lake etc) - would that have made the composure more pleasing?

Thank you again for your feedback, it has given me good insight to the view of others with much more experience than myself. I might head back to the same spot soon and see if I overlooked a way to get the wetlands at the end of the path in an optical illusion that makes the path seem to disappear into them. I am guessing that the scene is possibly had I been looking for it :-/
    edited March 29, 2011
    I'm not sure, but I think a scantily clad drop-dead gorgeous beauty at the end of that path with an alluring look might draw the viewer in. :giggle A body of water itself wouldn't solve the problem because it's probably got no focal point either. A little row boat might do it. Or maybe the vanishing point is a strong enough focal point in itself, not for me, but it probably is for some folks.

I'm all for breaking rules and trying new things. Most everything I've learned about what makes a good picture I've learned on Dgrin over the past few years and still have a lot to learn myself. We all participate here, apply roughly the same photographic guidelines, and yet we grow independently and develop our own styles. It's part of what makes it fun. There are some photographers whose work I really don't like, and yet there are always a core of people who oogle and coo over their pictures, and that's ok. We like what we like. My advice is that if a particular approach appeals to you then you should continue down that path and work it until it's done. Next time you're in a situation like that, try the different angles. Put the camera right on the dock and snap a shot to see what that looks like, stand up, but angle your camera down so that the horizon is near the top of the frame and the dock is distorted, and see how that looks. Come back another time when the light is different and try that. Which way is that dock facing? East or west? Maybe you can time it so that there's a sun-star at the end of it. It's those little hooks that can turn a mediocre shot into a great one. Continue to post your shots here and see what people like and don't like. I'm almost always amazed at which shots get good feedback and which ones get ignored. It's usually not what I expect. The critiques help me fine tune my work so that it pleases others as well. We all want to do that, otherwise we wouldn't be posting our shots here. But rarely will a shot please everyone, so don't even try.

The important thing is that you've learned how to use your tools. Developing your eye is an ongoing continuum. It is for me anyway.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    I like the moodiness of the 2nd photo, but I think you could get that same mood with the 1st photo with some more editing. As for angle ... I think that is personal preference and also viewer preference.

As for the path ... I don't need something at the end. To me it's more a mystery thing. One thing tho ... I was intrigued when you said this path circles around. Did you by chance get a photo with the curve of the path in the distance?
  • deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2011
    You say this was on your way home? I would really love to see photo #1 with a morning mist or fog, that would be a path to nowhere that if you caught some light with it would be fantastic. Bring your touque and gloves this time, although I don't feel to sorry for you as I am in northern alberta in the snow still waiting for spring.lol.
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com
  • YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2011
    I am a newbe @ this site, so I don't think I'm qualified to suggest about composing your shots.
    With that said; I really like shot # 2 and perhaps going lower might show a bit more texture from the wood and could present a very different scenario.
    My personal feeling about the essence of the picture; Emptiness, the Unknown, but sometimes real life is like that.beer.gif
    edited April 1, 2011
    kdog wrote:
    I think a scantily clad drop-dead gorgeous beauty at the end of that path with an alluring look might draw the viewer in. :giggle
    Let me see if I can get someone to cooperate and make that happen for you :)
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I like the moodiness of the 2nd photo, but I think you could get that same mood with the 1st photo with some more editing. As for angle ... I think that is personal preference and also viewer preference.

As for the path ... I don't need something at the end. To me it's more a mystery thing. One thing tho ... I was intrigued when you said this path circles around. Did you by chance get a photo with the curve of the path in the distance?
    Well, not in a real circle, it is kinda of a left turn here and right turn there - great idea, I am going to go back watch for a curve :)
    deb22 wrote: »
    You say this was on your way home? I would really love to see photo #1 with a morning mist or fog, that would be a path to nowhere that if you caught some light with it would be fantastic. Bring your touque and gloves this time, although I don't feel to sorry for you as I am in northern alberta in the snow still waiting for spring.lol.
    Great idea! I will await the weather to cooperate and see if I can get that one done also! Eh? :)
    Yaflyyadie wrote: »
    I am a newbe @ this site, so I don't think I'm qualified to suggest about composing your shots.
    With that said; I really like shot # 2 and perhaps going lower might show a bit more texture from the wood and could present a very different scenario.
    My personal feeling about the essence of the picture; Emptiness, the Unknown, but sometimes real life is like that.beer.gif
    Thank you :)

Lower I am guessing would produce more texture - I will try that one as well!

Thank you all for the feedback - it is appreciated.