Options

Which ND filter for 1.4 sunny portraits?

ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
edited March 26, 2011 in The Big Picture
Hey, all. I don't have much experience with ND filters but would like to use my 50mm 1.4G for sunny hand held portraits. I'm going for shallow DOF in bright light. Which one would you guys recommend? ND16, ND8, or ND4? I'm thinking ND8 is likely the way to go but figured you all would know better than me. I'm also stuck on using Hoya Pro1 or Super HMC filters but if you guys know a better one, please let me know. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    B+W 3.0 ND filter will get you through the brightest days.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif with Steve.....but I do not like screw in filters.....I prefer a flat filter that I can hand hold over the lens and also use on several different lenses via a lens adapter and filter holder....Lee and Singh Ray..... 1 holder and an adapter for each lens.......you may find that you want to use the ND with different lenses for other types of shooting such as landscapes or other lenses for portraits.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    Thanks, guys. I will check that one out. Is that equal to a Hoya ND 16 or a ND 8? I just wasn't sure how dark I should go and don't want to go too dark since I will be hand holding.

I do like the screw on filters best but it makes sense to get the flat filters with holders too. I think I may actually just buy a 77mm ND and use step down rings. That way, I can use it on all of my other lenses too except for my Sigma 50-500 OS with 95mm/86mm threads. I don't see myself ever using a ND on that lens anyway.rolleyes1.gif I really just want it to shoot outside portraits with super shallow DOF... with the 50mm 1.4G.

EDIT: Hey, I just thought of something. An ND filter would be probably be great for shooting motorsports on a sunny racetrack. I have a 2 day event coming up soon too. Has anyone here shot motorsports with a 70-200VR and a ND filter? I think it could be awesome to get a little more background separation out on the track. It would probably allow for better panning/blurring for speed. Ok, guys.... what would be a good density that would work for the track AND for my 1.4? The B&W 3.0? I'm excited to try it out for both situations.