Options

Spain!

elgauchogrubelgauchogrub Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited March 28, 2011 in Journeys
We took a couple weeks to drive around the north-central areas of Spain this past year and saw some great art, drank some great wine and ate some incredible food.

1. Started off in Barcelona where it was sunny for a few hours and then rained virtually non-stop for the next few days. However being from Seattle and used to such weather we didn't let that deter us. This is from the Sacara Famiglia

857547138_CHSYy-M.jpg

2. The next morning we hit the Market to find some snacks for the day.

857547741_mQaLH-M-1.jpg

3. After departing from Barcelona we drove cross country to Pamplona where it was still raining, but also much colder due to the higher elevation. No running of the bulls for us though I almost got gored by this sculpture.

858046812_M2ggH-M.jpg

4. From Pamplona we drove down to San Sebastian, this was our favorite stop of the trip. We stayed near the old town where there were plenty of options for tapas and drinks hidden in the narrow streets.

1229448434_s4zd6-L-2.jpg

5. After a full night we had to grab some breakfast, jamon, blue cheese or greasy eggs on french bread for breakfast. For dinner that night we splurged on a three star dinner at Arzak and those pictures are here

860322110_Td2yr-M-1.jpg

6. Saying goodbye to San Sebastian was sad, but all good things come to an end and we drove about an hour inland to Bilbao to visit the Guggenheim and a really great exhibit by Anish Kapoor

862453802_JU48t-M-1.jpg

862454306_KztTv-M-1.jpg

7. Then onward to El Ciego where we cashed in a bunch of Starwood points for a night in the super deluxe Frank Geary designed hotel at the Marquis de Riscal vinyard

862375686_SNJrr-M-1.jpg

8. Leaving the four star digs behind we drove around wine country and came across this fantastic building designed by Calatrava (my wifes best friend is an architect so we hear all about these things)

866001426_TJygm-M-1.jpg

9. Another long drive in our sub-compact rental car led us to Segovia which has among other things a fantastic roman aquaduct that towers over the older part of the city.

864204809_vqHxn-M-1.jpg

10. We had a great time in Segovia and stayed out late walking around the town which was nearly empty once the sun went down. Here's the aquaduct again, this time at night.

864209032_V4Wpn-M-1.jpg

11. Finally we arrived in Madrid where it was raining, again but no one really cared since Real Madrid had just won the Euro cup and the city was just jam packed with futbol fans. Fortunately for us this meant that some of the more popular sites like the royal palace were relatively empty.

866004714_ach5x-M-1.jpg

Sadly that was it for our tour of Span this time around, but we'll be back at some point and hey we still had a day in Paris before the long flight home.

Full Gallery is here

Critique and comments always appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,933 moderator
    edited March 27, 2011
    Nice set of pics. Looks like you hit many of the high points in Northern Spain. I've been to many of those places, but I must say that I'm envious about the dinner at Arzak. Looks fantastic. thumb.gif
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    Some great looking places. Very interesting architecture. I also love the market shot. Thanks for sharing!