Several questions on communities

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited June 7, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Many people seem to have customized their smugmug home pages so that the community invitation button is gone. Is there a way to invite these people to join a community. Even a kludge is OK; I'm not afraid of a little URL hacking, for example. In particular, is there a way to find someone's smugmug ID number? I know how to substitute that into the URL.

This problem is common enough among power and pro users that it's been a major pain to invite all the dgrin KPotD winners to join my new KPotD community. Look at Andy's homepage for example: http://www.moonriverphotography.com/

It would be nice if there were still a way to invite, perhaps from the community home page itself.
If not now, when?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2005
    i see the problem - thought it was available via control panel...

good question...
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    Communities and private galleries
    Apparenetly private galleries won't show in communities. But if I feature a gallery in the community home page and then make it private, it continues to show. I'm guessing this is actually a bug.

However, I think the right thing is for private galleries to show up in their communities if they have any. That way the owner of the gallery doesn't have to have it appear on his/her site. It leaves him/her the option of doing so, but doesn't force it. And the owner always has the option of removing the gallery from the community to hide it completely.

Is there already a way to do this without relying on a bug?
    If not now, when?
    Choosing a photo to represent your community
    This is well covered in the help page. However, it would be nice to be able to choose such a photo without needing to have it's gallery show in the community home page. I'm guessing this is impossible now; take it as a feature request.
    If not now, when?
    edited October 2, 2005
    bump now that JT is around.
    If not now, when?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    you could also email this thread to help@smugmug.com to ensure that the help crew sees it.
    edited October 2, 2005
    andy wrote:
    you could also email this thread to help@smugmug.com to ensure that the help crew sees it.

Will do.
    If not now, when?
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    Many people seem to have customized their smugmug home pages so that the community invitation button is gone. Is there a way to invite these people to join a community. Even a kludge is OK; I'm not afraid of a little URL hacking, for example. In particular, is there a way to find someone's smugmug ID number? I know how to substitute that into the URL.

This problem is common enough among power and pro users that it's been a major pain to invite all the dgrin KPotD winners to join my new KPotD community. Look at Andy's homepage for example: http://www.moonriverphotography.com/

It would be nice if there were still a way to invite, perhaps from the community home page itself.

Resurrecting this thread...

What customization causes the "invite to join" communities links to not appear on a smugmug homepage?

Someone wants me to join their "invite-only" community but there is no "invite to join" link on my site. headscratch.gif
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug