Options

Masking in Lr3.3

NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
edited March 29, 2011 in Finishing School
Hi, I'm learning my way around Lr3.3.

I am exploring the masking techniques for the adjustment brush.

My question is, when you have established a mask, or masks, through the adjustment brush panel, can these masks be used to selectively apply other tools, such as Luminance?

Thanks.

Neil
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• Options
    talniniotalninio Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 27, 2011
    Unfortunately, no...
    These masks serve only the Local Adjustment brush.
    For real masks you will have to use "real" Photoshop...
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    The brush is limited in what it can adjust, the adjustments on the HSL panal are not available in a brush. Even if you have a brush selected a change to the HSL panel affects the whole image. The only things you can adjust with the brush are the things listed on the brush panel. You can't, for example, selectively apply any adjustment like you can in Bibble painted region (if I rememeber it correctly).

You can, however, change the setting once after the brush has been applied. So, for example, you can go back to the brush mask (click on the brush icon, then click on one of the dot's show where the masks are) and change and adjustment like brightness.

You can also save the settings as a preset and resuse the settings for another brush mask. BTW the O key toggles on and off a mask for the brush that shows what it's being applied to.

NeilL wrote: »
    Hi, I'm learning my way around Lr3.3.

I am exploring the masking techniques for the adjustment brush.

My question is, when you have established a mask, or masks, through the adjustment brush panel, can these masks be used to selectively apply other tools, such as Luminance?

Thanks.

Neil
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited March 27, 2011
    Don't forget that you are not limited to making only one adjustment with each brush or gradient mask. You can use any combination of the available sliders. But not all adjustments can be localized with them. Gradient filters and the adjustment brush are handy for people who need a simple local adjustment and are only using LR for processing, but they are nowhere near as flexible and powerful as the masks in Photoshop.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2011
    talninio, Dan & Richard

Thanks for your very helpful replies!

Neil

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    if you need masks , and if you have photoshop
    you can use photoshop as tool

in LR go to
    photo => edit in => edit in photoshop

when done close PS
    when asked to save changes to NEF [or CR2 or whatever RAW you use ] select yes
    now your changes are in lightroom

hope it helps , it works for me
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    if you need masks , and if you have photoshop
    you can use photoshop as tool

in LR go to
    photo => edit in => edit in photoshop

when done close PS
    when asked to save changes to NEF [or CR2 or whatever RAW you use ] select yes
    now your changes are in lightroom

hope it helps , it works for me

Yep Bas understand thanks!

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited March 29, 2011
    Hmmm...I use ACR, not LR, so I may be talking through my hat here, but something doesn't sound right about this. I doubt that edits made in PS actually change the raw file and I don't think you would want them to. What is possible is that the results from PS could be saved as a TIFF or JPG, which LR (or ACR) could see and edit.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Hmmm...I use ACR, not LR, so I may be talking through my hat here, but something doesn't sound right about this. I doubt that edits made in PS actually change the raw file and I don't think you would want them to. What is possible is that the results from PS could be saved as a TIFF or JPG, which LR (or ACR) could see and edit.

You're both right!

Richard, in LR if you export an image to PS for editing, the resulting file is saved as a TIF or PSD and automatically imported back into your LR catalog. thumb.gif
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    correct
    it is in LR displayed as "stack" [ numbers 1 , 2 , etc in the icons ]