This one seems to hit peak 2.8 performance around 45mm

So, what think ye - better?
    clap.gif
  • Options
    Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    tangential question
    divamum wrote: »
    Yup, DeVerm the 17-55is is a terrific lens, a newer design than the 24-70 and intended for crop. But it doesn't deliver at 56-70mm....which is the gap I've been trying to fill :D

I was reading this and it just made me wonder why the gap was a problem? If you used primes you would have a gap between 50 and 85 anyway. I usually find this is just a case of moving slightly or cropping slightly in post, never really seen it as a problem. Seems strange to go for the 24-70 ahead of the 17-55 for this reason, or maybe you're planning to go full frame?
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    I just always seem to need something in that focal length between my 50mm, 85mm and 135L primes. The space I shoot in at home is small so the 85 is sometimes tight, but I find I want just a little more than 50, if only for the face-flattering effect. When I'm shooting in the theatre, I sometimes can't foot zoom to back up when I'm using the 85 or 135, but I want to fit more than one person into the frame. It's just a length I've been missing for quite a while and, now having shot with the 24-70, there's no doubt it's a FL that I will use A LOT; it just seems to suit my shooting style. Frankly, 35-80 would be even better, but nobody seems to make that any more... ne_nau.gif

And yes, I do intend to go FF at some point; I suspect that if the 5dIII has some of the AF features of the current 7d, it will be close to a perfect camera for me (assuming I can sell the arm or two to find the $ it will no doubt cost and face revamping lenses yet again for some extra reach!)
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    Well done dm! I am really impressed with these images. I think SOOC and in those shooting conditions these are within the bounds of excellent - I personally would not expect better from any lens.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    It's a little hard to compare these results with the previous since the subjects are so different. Glad you are happier with this lens, though.
    - Bill