Crossfit Bodies #3 Series Wrap up

Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
edited March 28, 2011 in People
Hey Y'all Here are a couple from yesterdays 3rd and final in the Crossfit series. Even a wide take for Neil. Lets have Some C&C. I've culled 80 selects from 450 frames to work on. These are the first two I've touched.

1230233060_FXuz2-X2.jpg

1230233288_orQy7-X2.jpg

Thanks as always. Albert

Comments

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    That first shot kicks ass in a major way. Really creative...insert virtual hand clap here...nice work. If I am going to be really picky, which I will be because I know you apprecite critique :), I would clone the box out of lower right....but that is a minor nit.
    To me the light in that is perfect, like the shadow, froze the action, nice transition across the frame. Amazing job by the model!

The second one for me is ok, I am not a fan of the harsh light normally, I know that is the look you were going for and as your series has progressed you have done a better job with it each time. I think if she did not have the hair stragglers in her face I would like it better. The flash does look just barely hot in a few spots.
    She is an amazing model, that girl is ripped, and very pretty.

Crossfit should use your top shot in their national advertising media, it is that good.
  • Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Crossfit should use your top shot in their national advertising media, it is that good.

I am extremely flattered. I think you are going to like some of the others from this shoot.

Thanks Mike.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    1st image really rocks..yeah clone out that box on the right..also if you want this image even better..fix all the horizen issues. You have 2 problems.

1) The bricks along the top don't match the line of the floor/wall. This is just perspective distortion which might have fixed by shooting perfectly perpendicualr to the wall..oh well! To fix this in post you need to distort the image in horzontally (so that the image is slightly "fatter" on the right side if you get my drift) so that you get parellel lines between the bricks and the floor line. Then rotate and crop appropriately. Hopefully you have some room fro the cropping and lady is distorted minimally. I know LR can do this and I imagine PS can as well.

2) the lines on the floor create a sense of uneven horizen..clone them out.

That's it! Otherwise kick ass!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 27, 2011
    The first one is beautiful. Great contrast. Powerful.
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
    edited March 27, 2011
    Thanks Guys.

Quarik; I love your c&c but have to disagree with you on the horizontal line issue. Here is why, I did minimal horizon correction on this image but left the diverging lines that spread to the right because it contributes to the sense of space and distance ahead of the runner. That said, I might try correcting the perspective in post and might even like it but am feeling lazy right now:0). :D

I agree with you all that the metal box (Actually a cattle trough used at the gym to hold vast qnty's of beer on fight nights) could and should go. I'll fix it!
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    Thanks Guys.

Quarik; I love your c&c but have to disagree with you on the horizontal line issue. Here is why, I did minimal horizon correction on this image but left the diverging lines that spread to the right because it contributes to the sense of space and distance ahead of the runner. That said, I might try correcting the perspective in post and might even like it but am feeling lazy right now:0). :D

I agree with you all that the metal box (Actually a cattle trough used at the gym to hold vast qnty's of beer on fight nights) could and should go. I'll fix it!

*nods* I get what you are saying. imho though the uneven lines make my eyes wander from the subject is all and I end up looking at the image to see if it is "striaght".
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited March 27, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    *nods* I get what you are saying. imho though the uneven lines make my eyes wander from the subject is all and I end up looking at the image to see if it is "striaght".

And it is that fine attention to detail that brings me to this forum for the most valuable c&c out there. Thanks
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    That first shot is amazing! I agree with Quarik on point #1 but not 2. The painted line on the floor create a perfect arrow to the feet of the runner in opposition to the direction which she is running. To my eyes this creates a wonderful tension and enhances the feeling of speed. The other painted line adds a sense of perspective to the floor. Take those out and you're left with a gray blocked shape. Maybe I'm reading too much into this but that's how it hits me.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • bitwise95bitwise95 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    Great images. Really like the first image. Well done.
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    When they first hit the eye, it's "yes!". The deal is sealed.

My eyes lapped up the wideness of #1. I wouldn't touch a thing in it.

The flaming licking the edge of the weight hefter in #2 is from the cauldron of gold physique alchemy. Truly gothic!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited March 28, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    The flaming licking the edge of the weight hefter in #2 is from the cauldron of gold physique alchemy. Truly gothic!
    Neil

"caldron of gold physique alchemy" Dude..........I so meant to do that!headscratch.gif
  • GretchenGretchen Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    I am sure the owner and the Xfitters are over the moon with these shots- too bad she wasn't wearing Reeboks, the official sponsor of the Crossfit World Games...
    Side note- you have to love Crossfitters- the employ a cattle trough to cool their beer. And, I believe NeilL just created a new T-shirt tag line for their box.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 28, 2011
    Killer shots. thumb.gif
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    Very nice lighting and composition thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited March 28, 2011
    [QUOTE=Gretchen;1583356And, I believe NeilL just created a new T-shirt tag line for their box.
    [/QUOTE]

Yep, and I'll give Neil credit for that if not much else rolleyes1.gif Only kidding Neil, you get 10% of the T-shirt proceeds.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    All's good here!

The Reeboks can be PS'd in, and we'll all go for a cruise!:D

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix