Options

How was this photo taken?

levelsixtysevenlevelsixtyseven Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited April 3, 2011 in Technique
The photo above. I'm interested how it was taken? was it night time? where's the light source? wondering if anyone can figure it out. I want to do something similar

Comments

• Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    My less then expert opinion/guess.

Flash/strobe with red gel behind and to left of model. Guessing strip light for fill to the cameras right, probably pretty close to inline with camera. Maybe instead of a large single light source for fill it may have been two separate when considering the shadow on her right shoulder. But more likely one large fill light source placed on the outside of her left arm, hence creating that shadow.

Of course that is a guess and would love to hear how my guess stacks up with more experienced opinions.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited March 27, 2011
    Yes, I beleive that it was a night time shot. I believe there were at least 2 additional lights involved, probably flash. There exact placement can be deduced from the results of the image. One light is quite obvious, as it is seen in the image. The key light is not seen but the results are seen.

Now, knowing all of this please draw a simple lighting diagram and share it here, from an overhead vantage, and I can tell you if you are close or not.

The exact specific lighting is only known by the original photographer, so if you want that information you must ask the photographer.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 27, 2011
    I wouldn't be surprised if that background was photoshopped in and the model shot in a studio. Joel Grimes (arty sports photographer) has some very similar backgrounds he composites with the subject who was shot in a studio.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 27, 2011
    I am inclined to agree with kdogl, that looks a lot like work done by Joel Grimes. The shadow would have to be added after replacing the background, I think. Google Joel Grimes and his website will pop right up.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    http://www.elemental-photography.net/gallery/albums/ACEN2010/Hack/Elemental-5568-2.jpg

The photo above. I'm interested how it was taken? was it night time? where's the light source? wondering if anyone can figure it out. I want to do something similar

I'm no pro lighting expert, but it appears to me that it was shot at or near dark and the red light could be a gel'd strobe, and the "key" appears to be a bare strobe, camera right.