Options

#73 Rushing Water

billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
edited March 30, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here's a couple of thoughts for Challenge #73...

I'd appreciate feedback on the two versions, especially related to preferences for the shutter speed difference and softness of the water.

Does the subject work for Rush?

Does one convey the theme better than the other?

Water in a Hurry #1
1230671066_aAwHv-L.jpg

Water in a Hurry #2
1230722446_WcNB5-L.jpg
Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug

Comments

• Options
    rbustraenrbustraen Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    I'm tossed... I really don't know what one I like better as I really like them both. I favor the second one a bit more because of the detail in the water, but I also like the flowing milky effect on the first one and I really don't know if I like the green of the grass, I find it a tad distracting and takes my eyes away from the water. Maybe I'm just jealous as there is still two or three feet of snow on the ground here...
    - Randy

Photo Of The Day & My SmugMug Gallery
    Canon 7D and not enough L glass....
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    hi bill,
    i'm with rbustraen, regarding being undecided about the flow. but I wanted to ask what the inclusion of the grass adds to the image? Visually it does add another diagonal layer, but I feel I have to 'look over it' to get to the prize...
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    rbustraen wrote: »
    I really don't know if I like the green of the grass, I find it a tad distracting and takes my eyes away from the water.
    Froch wrote: »
    hi bill,
    i'm with rbustraen, regarding being undecided about the flow. but I wanted to ask what the inclusion of the grass adds to the image? Visually it does add another diagonal layer, but I feel I have to 'look over it' to get to the prize...

Yeah, I'm with you both about the grass. Not sure I can crop it out in a manner that saves the whole, though. I've got a couple of alternatives. Perhaps the best one will be to scrap it an RUSH on to a different plan.

Here's a crop attempt and a desaturated version. I'm really thinking this is a shot with some local interest (a dam that signals the end to drought with an overspill about once a decade) that isn't worth a lot more pp effort. But, I'm open to ideas from either of you (or anyone else out there).

Desaturated version
    1230959179_XbDnF-M.jpg

Cropped Version
    1231051363_kBwrT-M.jpg
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    I like both, but for different reasons. The first seems so calm, but the calmness doesn't really say "rush" to me like the second one with more detail in the water. And I like the crop - the grass really didn't bother me, but the cropped shot does seem to have a stronger composition.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    I also think I like #2, because #1 seems like a more conventional waterfall shot.

I hadn't thought through the idea of "rush", but I also agree that the stop action shutter feels a bit more like "rush" to me than the fuzziness of the slow shutter.
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    Just my two cents, but I like the grass...it anchors the image for me....especially in the very first image because it gives a great textural contrast to the water......
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    I like the last "Cropped Version" for the composition and colors.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    I will go with the #2 cropped version.
    My eyes were forced straight to the rushing water as there are no distractions @ the foreground.
    Just my thoughts.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!beer.gif
  • Options
    konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    Personally, I like the crop, but would rather see it with #1 - I think the slower shutter speed gives the best effect for the theme.
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    I like the original #2. I like the grass in it. But even in the cropped version, this version gives me the feel of RUSH more. You can see the roughness of the water.
    The first one feels so smooth it is almost calming and that doesn't say rush to me as well.