kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited March 30, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Or something like that. :rofl

Does this work?

1230978387_N9ntP-XL.jpg

Comments

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    The sky is awesome. But what is that on the left just above the green It looks lke a giant water drop? The colors are quite rich!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 28, 2011
    Wow, great rays. clap.gif The water looks a little crunchy on my monitor. I think if it were mine, I'd crop the bottom a bit and go for a pano aspect. Well done. thumb.gif
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    I agree with Richard. That background is so gorgeous it deserves a more prominent position in this image. Nice PP Joel thumb.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    Great scene, Joel. Beautiful rays.

I cropped the shot on my screen from the left....just enough to lose the white glob, from the top....down to the beginning of the real light-colored band in the sky, and enough from the right to proportion-out the picture.

I'm still searching for the water Richard commented on. I see a dirt / sandy road.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    Great scene, Joel. Beautiful rays.

I cropped the shot on my screen from the left....just enough to lose the white glob, from the top....down to the beginning of the real light-colored band in the sky, and enough from the right to proportion-out the picture.

I'm still searching for the water Richard commented on. I see a dirt / sandy road.

Tom

Hi Tom
    I too took it to be water. The crunchy quality makes a lot more sense if it's a dirt road. headscratch.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 28, 2011
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    Hi Tom
    I too took it to be water. The crunchy quality makes a lot more sense if it's a dirt road. headscratch.gif
    rolleyes1.gif Silly me. Yeah, the crunchiness does make sense now, but I'm not so sure about the color. Puddles on a dirt road? ne_nau.gif
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    Liking it overall! Great view and Sky! Tell me that color ( purple) wasn't there?
    tom wise
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 28, 2011
    Thanks for the comments, folks! Richard, that's exactly what it is -- a wet dirt road. The dirt is whitish in color, probably due to mineral content, but I make no claim that the color is accurate.

I took the shot on Friday evening just outside of Bakersfield coming back from the Carrizo Plain. This is one of those deals where you look in the rear view mirror and see something so amazing that you frantically start looking for a place to pull over. In this case it happened to be this dirt road, so I used it in the shot. It had been showing rain on and off all day, so things were wet. I snapped a quit bracketed set to HDR and continued on my way.

Eia, I believe the white plume is steam or smoke from the stack from an oil refinery or possibly oil plant. Simple to clone out, but I decided to leave it in because it's just weird enough to add more interest.

Tom, I'm curious about your crop, but can't quite envision it. Is this along the lines you had in mind?

1231456459_qKEYc-L.jpg

Feel free to post your own version if you like as I'm genuinely curious what you have in mind.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    Hey Joel,

You pretty much got it the way I did. You cropped the sky exactly like I did. I pulled the left side in a little more than you did and gave that additional " space " over to the right side. In other words, the road is moved over more to the left so that you see the entire portion of that section of the road that flairs out to the right. It's all a matter of taste, I suppose, but I happen to like the cropped version more.

It is a scene that I'm sure would have stopped me as well. Great capture.thumb.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited March 28, 2011
    Thanks again, Tom! I see what you mean now. You're right, that pretty much dials it in. Thanks again.

-joel
    edited March 28, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Liking it overall! Great view and Sky! Tell me that color ( purple) wasn't there?
    Hey Tom, I missed this previously. There is some purple in the shot as captured I think and probably got enhanced by the HDR process and using a stronger black point which I tend to do.

Here are the three contributing frames of this shot.

1231509772_Pwf6a-M.jpg1231509982_F4moE-M.jpg1231510015_KPfDE-M.jpg
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    Really nice shot and YES IT WORKS

Eia wrote: »
    The sky is awesome. But what is that on the left just above the green It looks lke a giant water drop? The colors are quite rich!

That is a ghost of an ATOMIC TEST BOMB...... :D:D:D:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    Great title, Joel ..... The road doesn't look overly used, maybe some of us are not going to make it.....:D

I like it .... the tonal contrast is a little higher than I would have done.....but still a great shot......thumb.gifgary
    edited March 28, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Really nice shot and YES IT WORKS

That is a ghost of an ATOMIC TEST BOMB...... :D:D:D:D
    Thanks, Art! Yeah, the plume does have a kind of a post-apocalyptic thing going on. Exactly! clap.gif
    edited March 28, 2011
    Azzaro wrote: »
    Great title, Joel ..... The road doesn't look overly used, maybe some of us are not going to make it.....:D

I like it .... the tonal contrast is a little higher than I would have done.....but still a great shot......thumb.gifgary
    Thanks, Gary. So true about the road being rarely if ever used. In fact, I almost called this "The Seldom Used Road to Salvation" and decided it was a little long.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    I too really like the cropped version!

Nice job Joel thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited March 29, 2011
    rwells wrote: »
    I too really like the cropped version!

Nice job Joel thumb.gif
    Thanks, Randy!
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    I find this road so fascinating. My eye kept looking at where it disappears and reappears.

As for the crop ... I like the original version, but would of cropped it just under the white opening in the upper center part of the sky.

Nice work thumb.gif
    edited March 30, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I find this road so fascinating. My eye kept looking at where it disappears and reappears.

As for the crop ... I like the original version, but would of cropped it just under the white opening in the upper center part of the sky.

Nice work thumb.gif

Thanks, Mary! I see what you're saying about reducing some of the upper part of the sky. I'll have to play around with that and see how it looks. I"m pretty pleased with the way it looks cropped. Good thing I have 21M pixels to play with. mwink.gif