Options

Change your clothes

StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
edited October 5, 2005 in Holy Macro
I've fixed colors, straightened horizons, even cloned trash and the occasional partial person out of a shot before, but this is the first "major" scene-altering photoshop edit I've really tried.

37882768-L.jpg

The lad on our left forgot and wore the wrong shirt that day (it was bright blue with a Florida Gators logo on the front). I couldn't get Photoshop to give me exactly the right color, even when using the eyedropper thing on the others' shirts, but it's pretty close. I didn't have time last night to tackle the guys in the back row, perhaps later this week.

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2005
    Brave Man
    StevenV wrote:
    I've fixed colors, straightened horizons, even cloned trash and the occasional partial person out of a shot before, but this is the first "major" scene-altering photoshop edit I've really tried.

The lad on our left forgot and wore the wrong shirt that day (it was bright blue with a Florida Gators logo on the front). I couldn't get Photoshop to give me exactly the right color, even when using the eyedropper thing on the others' shirts, but it's pretty close. I didn't have time last night to tackle the guys in the back row, perhaps later this week.
    Well I take my hat off to you for your good effort clap.gif
    There is still a heavy hint of pink in their shirts and shorts, but I suck at editing so reading what you managed to do to that image you did a good job :D

You did well at changing the lads shirt.......I need to get my tutorial DVD on PhotoShop Elements back from my cousin and go through it again......very good effort on your part. .......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2005
    Boy, those colors are tough. It's very hard to get them to pop and to make the skin tones look natural.

I took this shot on a trip through LAB, and here's the result:

37904861-M.jpg

Here's the curves I applied:

37904883-M.jpg37904902-M.jpg37904916-M.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2005
    Wow. Thanks David. Curves is still The Great Photohshop Mystery Tool for me. I'm amazed what others can do with it; when I get in there everything goes all-60's-psychodelic-like. eek7.gif
  • Options
    (oh, and the pink in their hair was deliberate - they had spray-painted their hair to match the lettering on the shirts)
  • Options
    David, was that done with technique you've learned in the Margulis LAB Color Bookor "just" using curves? I'm seriously looking at getting that book, though it may be over my head at this point.
  • Options
    StevenV wrote:
    David, was that done with technique you've learned in the Margulis LAB Color Bookor "just" using curves? I'm seriously looking at getting that book, though it may be over my head at this point.

Yes, we haven't covered it yet in the reading group, but that's where I'm learning this.

It's important that you work on the basics first and work your way up.

Get the book and join in!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote:
    It's important that you work on the basics first and work your way up.
    Thanks, I probably will stop by the bookstore and see if they've got it when I get back from this weekend's camping trip. Is there some other, more basic, work I should get, read & learn first?
  • Options
    RazRaz Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    Hi Steven.

I don't know how you got the logo on that shirt, and this material is definitely not basic and for my needs, not very useful either, but I thought it's a cool trick. Check out the liquify alert tutorial.

Raz
    "Each piece, or part, of the whole of nature is always merely an
    approximation to the complete truth..."

-- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

My Galleries
  • Options
    The logo was just a copy/paste (and rotate a little, free transform) from one of the other shirts, from the girl (2nd from the right) with the pinkest hair.

But first I used the paintbrush, changing the Mode setting in the options bar to Color. That let me paint the color over his shirt, keeping the texture intact. Supposedly I should have been ablt to Alt-click (Option-click) on other shirts to pick up the right color, but it just didn't quite match. I don't know why.

I did the same to add more pink to some of the kids' hair.
  • Options
    StevenV wrote:
    Thanks, I probably will stop by the bookstore and see if they've got it when I get back from this weekend's camping trip. Is there some other, more basic, work I should get, read & learn first?

Well, I haven't come to terms with that, yet, whether you need to start more basic.

One great book is Scott Kelby's Photoshop CS2 for Digital Photographers.

You can also just keep posting and learning here.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    If you do start to study LAB, leave that image alone for a while, and start easy, follow the reading group and the book. That image is definitely too much to bite off first thing.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2005
    This one might be a little too dark but sometimes if you don't have the points it's not that great.
    I sometimes use Paint Shop Pro 8 for resizing and little adjustments because it's much more user friendly. I used a black and white point to get this effect. It's a very quick way getting the right colors.
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com