Claire, Class of 2011

l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
edited March 30, 2011 in People
I spent my Sunday afternoon with this beauty. After we met for lunch (her dad is the pastor at my church and my parents are the youth directors), we swung by her house and she let me raid her closet. Oh, I love it when they trust me!

As we were wrapping up and driving away, I saw a male photog shooting a high school aged girl in a chair backwards with her small family standing around her. I couldn't see the photog's face (big camera in the way) but I recognized his style/setup. Who'd've thunk that it was our very own Jeffreaux2? Great minds think alike!

So, here's Claire - I know they don't compare to Mr. Jeff's shots at the same location, but I can't compete with him and I know it.

1. "Don't move, your lighting is beautiful, and stop smiling!" - this was the look she gave me.
5569598961_de2cc254b0.jpg

2. I've been to this location I don't know how many times and never turned the corner - I should have turned the corner because this beautiful brick was was awaiting me.
5569596379_2e0b9b52f6.jpg

3. In retrospect, I should have bounced just a *little* bit of light back up into her face, but I haven't mastered using reflectors and bouncers yet. I'm a "what you see is what you get" kind of girl. She kept fussing at the wind and her mom and I kept saying "nooo, the wind looks great on you!" and I kept firing away.
5569593957_6b9870e23e.jpg

4. She let me into her room and said "I don't know what to bring" - I grabbed that scarf. Boy, I'm glad I did.
5569591799_94e89d13c5.jpg

5. This is fresh out of Photoshop and only posted because Mr. Jeff posted a picture of his senior shooting with a retro camera. His shot and my shot were taken across the street from each other within two hours of each other. Even more ironic? I have the same Duo-flex he has - on the way out the door we thought of bringing it at the last minute but couldn't get the film loaded into in a hurry so I grabbed my Hawk-eye instead. Yes, I shot with it and yes, Claire really is taking a picture of me taking a picture of her.
5570230102_5e3294d33e.jpg

Random picture/story. So we go to the top of the State Capitol building (the largest in the US) and on the way back to the elevator a guy stops me and asks if my 40D is film, not knowing where he was going with it, I said that no, it was digital, but my Brownie was film. He sticks out his hand and says "take a picture of this for your mantle". What's on his hands? Kansas City's AFC Championship ring from 1966 (Packers won the Superbowl that year) and 1969's Kansas City Superbowl ring. So of COURSE I had to take a picture. I should have posed him better, but it was a complete spur of the moment don't-have-time-to-change-settings shot. His name is Frank Pitts, a friend google'd him :)
5570188446_eef579253e.jpg

C&C always appreciated.

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    I remember thinking "she has Yuri eyes" when I first met this kid...and the fact that her eyes hold the light so well in these images proves me right!rolleyes1.gif

Looks like you two had a fun shoot on Sunday. It was a beautiful afternoon for shooting.

My Client (link) wasn't a high school senior but rather a couple years younger.

I knew I had seen you!mwink.gif
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    She is gorgeous, I'll give her that!

Next time I think I see you and you think you see me, we need to think about coming over and saying "hi"
    :)

I even mentioned that the barracks were your favorite stomping grounds, I didn't think I'd actually see you there while we were there.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    These are lovely...
    Might I give my thoughts on these please...
    I like the pose and lighting on #1 but I think her skin is a wee bit overdone...eyes are gorgeous.
    #2. Nice tones and location, I think a tighter crop would work better...a bit off frame left IMHO
    I love nearly everything about #3...gorgeous light and tones but again just a wee bit overdone on her skin.
    #4 again beautiful and the skin treatment works for me perhaps because this portrait is closer view?
    The one obvious issue here is the difference in color of her make up compared to her neck. I get a lot of this with young ladies unless there is a professional MUA at hand.
    I will often use a layer to try and match up face make up to neck lines and or shoulders and hands.
    #5 is a cool idea :D
    Last one...way cool story!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    These are lovely...
    Might I give my thoughts on these please...
    I like the pose and lighting on #1 but I think her skin is a wee bit overdone...eyes are gorgeous.
    #2. Nice tones and location, I think a tighter crop would work better...a bit off frame left IMHO
    I love nearly everything about #3...gorgeous light and tones but again just a wee bit overdone on her skin.
    #4 again beautiful and the skin treatment works for me perhaps because this portrait is closer view?
    The one obvious issue here is the difference in color of her make up compared to her neck. I get a lot of this with young ladies unless there is a professional MUA at hand.
    I will often use a layer to try and match up face make up to neck lines and or shoulders and hands.
    #5 is a cool idea :D
    Last one...way cool story!

Lovin' the input, thanks! Her skin is *barely* touched up, I went over her face with a clarity and a sharpness brush all the way down while still in Adobe Raw and did the same thing on her eyes but with the clarity and sharpness all the way up - her skin is naturally that beautiful!

I'll go over #4 with a bit of a warming layer over her neck to make it match her face, I didn't even notice that until it was pointed out.

#5 is posted because Mr. Jeff and I both took the same shot, just across the street from each other within an hour or two of each other without even consulting the other one. I have half a dozen antique cameras - that all work - sitting on my mantle above the tv. I got a lot of weird looks when I brought one on a field trip a few years back. She took a film shot of me with my 40D against my face that *really* needs to be developed. Which reminds me, I have a date with some chemicals upstairs in a few hours...
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    She does have great skin then.
    Sometimes I experience skin appearing to be smoother on wider shots for some reason.
    For instance I can go through the trouble of fixing blemishes and what not at 100 percent view but then when I revert to 30 percent it just looks way over done....

I so miss the days of developing B&W film...perhaps I should revisit someday soon...
    Yo soy Reynaldo