DX investor jumping to FX?

ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
edited March 29, 2011 in Cameras
Hey, all. I have a D300S(and D70) and I have been waiting impatiently for the D400 to be released. With all this waiting though, I have had time to think about making the jump to FX. I do make some money with my cameras and I want the best quality I can afford. The D400 is sure to be amazing BUT it's unlikely it will match the IQ of the upcoming D800... which I am currently leaning heavily towards. My problem is that I am sort of invested in a lot of DX lenses. I am going to keep my D300S as a back up and a few of my lenses will be good on the FX. What do you guys think of my lens collection and making the jump to FX? Which of these lenses would you keep or sell.... keeping in mind that I will have a DX back up. I own a Nikkor 70-200mm 2.8 VR, 50mm 1.4, 35mm 1.8, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 VC, 90mm macro, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, and a Sigma 50-500mm OS. I really want to go FX but think maybe I made it hard on myself by investing so much in DX. Would you guys go "FX with a DX backup" or stay fully DX? Some lenses I almost never use anymore... like the 18-200 and 70-300. Maybe those 2 can go for sure to offset FX costs. I know my 70-200 will be good on the D800 but I will likely have to spend at least another $3500 on FX lenses. Ugh. I just don't know if it's worth making the jump when the D400 will be a great performer. My money makers are real estate, motorsports, concerts, and portraits. I think if I tried an FX, there would be no going back once I saw the IQ. Any opinions on my lens collection and making the jump or how hard it's going to be?

Comments

• DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    Hate to say it because I am looking forward to that too. But with the problems Japan is having it is hard to say what it will do to production of the new models even though the D300 was being built in Thailand. R&D has to be effected. We wish them a quick recovery. Nikon and Sigma factories were close to the epicenter
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    Looks to me like you already have a good start on FX lenses. The 70-200, 50 f/1.4, 70-300 (if you need the reach - which you probably don't with the Bigma), 90 macro, and the Bigma are all FX compatible. According to Matt Saville, the 11-16 works well on FX at 16mm, so you essentially already have a 16mm prime for FX. All you'd not be using are the 35, the 18-200, and the Tamron 17-50. You will probably want to upgrade your wide angle in the future (by all accounts the 14-24 is jaw-dropping), and maybe add a standard zoom in the 24-70 range. But you've already got 16, 50, and telephoto covered.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being an "FX with DX backup (or secondary)" shooter. There are places and uses for both formats, no reason not to have both in the stable.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    Looks to me like you already have a good start on FX lenses. The 70-200, 50 f/1.4, 70-300 (if you need the reach - which you probably don't with the Bigma), 90 macro, and the Bigma are all FX compatible. According to Matt Saville, the 11-16 works well on FX at 16mm, so you essentially already have a 16mm prime for FX. All you'd not be using are the 35, the 18-200, and the Tamron 17-50. You will probably want to upgrade your wide angle in the future (by all accounts the 14-24 is jaw-dropping), and maybe add a standard zoom in the 24-70 range. But you've already got 16, 50, and telephoto covered.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being an "FX with DX backup (or secondary)" shooter. There are places and uses for both formats, no reason not to have both in the stable.

It looks like I'm better shape than I thought! I knew I had the 70-200mm and 50mm that would work and had heard that I could use the long end of the 11-16mm. I didn't know I could use my 90mm and didn't even think about Bigma. I have to say that the Tamron 17-50 VC is one of my favorite lenses though.... right after the 70-200. I think my first FX lens purchase SHOULD be the Nikkor 24-70mm. That may be the only purchase I have to do for awhile. Anyway, thanks for replying! It has made me lean a little harder towards the FX jump! I'm so looking forward to the D800 now. I'm in trouble though if the D400 comes out way ahead of it and is an amazing camera. rolleyes1.gifMust use restraint!

PS I know I can use all my lenses in the D800's DX mode.... but not interested in losing all that resolution though.

PSS I will likely have a rarely used 18-200mm and 70-300mm for sale soon. mwink.gif