DC Cherry Blossoms... help?

nazquelnazquel Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
edited April 1, 2011 in Landscapes
Hi everyone...

having a hard time choosing between these two versions. i'm appealing to you for your thoughts?

I like the vibrance of the sunrise in this shot, but am a bit underwhelmed with the cloud movement on the top left hand side. Also, I'm considering cropping an inch off the bottom, but I do like how the clouds are reflected in the pool. Thoughts on those? And if I should clone out the two fallen blossoms on the ridge?

151.jpg

I really like the cloud movement in this shot, and I think I prefer the composition. I altered it slightly from the before image to concentrate more on that cloud movement. The sun pushed through the clouds in this shot and shined warm light on the trees... which i really like. I don't like how the ripples in the top right deflect some of the reflections on the water... thoughts again on the fallen blossoms?

203.jpg

thanks everyone for your support... :thumb
Navin Sarma

Washington, D.C., based landscape and fine art photographer

http://navinsarmaphotography.com/

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    bowdown.gif WOW WOW WOW! I love this take on a scene that is so often shot in the spring.

I prefer the first because the colors are much punchier. My only nit is the masking covers the monument in the distance, so it looks like it's been painted black.

Otherwise I thin it's perfect as is. And I know how short-lived the blossoms are (part of their charm) so I wouldn't clone out any fallen ones.
  • nazquelnazquel Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    thanks schmoo... i really appreciate the feedback!

i'll see if i can fix up the monument. i agree that it does look a lot more dark - probably is the masking. the silhouette in comp 2 is much better.

i'll also see if can eek out any more color in the 2nd comp and see where that goes.
    Navin Sarma

edited March 29, 2011
    ok... i made a go at one more version. i think this blends the elements of the other two pretty well (though it is its own single exposure)

thoughts?

163v2.jpg
    Navin Sarma

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    Beautiful shot Navin! The one thing I really miss about living in DC was knowing it was Spring by walking around the Tidal Basin.
    I prefer the first shot you posted (though agree with lightening the monument). And definitely leave the fallen blossoms.
    The last one you posted has a bit too much movement in the trees. In fact, I'm shocked at the detail you got from the longe exposure in 1. I never thought to try one as it was always so damn windy down there!
    Great job thumb.gif
  • AFBlueAFBlue Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    nazquel wrote: »
    ok... i made a go at one more version. i think this blends the elements of the other two pretty well (though it is its own single exposure)

thoughts?

Think I like the first image the best.

In your latest version, looks like the Washington Monument leans to the right.

Jerry
    edited March 30, 2011
    thanks, everyone for your comments!
    Navin Sarma

• PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    I like the first one best, too, Navin, for the colors. How about just lighting the monument in that one a bit? Beautiful photos! Best, Pam
  • clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    First one definately!
  • SimplyShaneSimplyShane Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2011
    This is a really fantastic shot, but the monument itself is a bit crooked in your last two versions.

The first one is the best. Just clean up that masking a touch and it's mint!
    ---My Photography Homepage---

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bengford
    edited March 31, 2011
    hi everyone...

thanks for the really great feedback. i've taken your suggestions and created a new version of number 1. i've also created oneee moreee verrsion based on another exposure. i do like number 1, but just wanted a bit more in cloud movement and color. please let me know your thoughts.

revamped #1
    151.jpg

new version
    158v2.jpg

thanks so much!!!!
    Navin Sarma

• travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2011
    Nice image. The color in #1 is fantastic.
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2011
    What I like about the intense cloud color in #1 is it balances the cherry blossoms. Feels more balanced than the other one. But what I now like about your last one is that you put the colors in the water, too, and I think that fills out the frame better. Really nice!!
  • Dwayne OakesDwayne Oakes Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2011
    Photo 1 is the best comp. But in my opinion you have two
    color areas trying to compete with each other, the pink blossoms and
    the orange sunset which throws the photo out of balance "tension" I think
    the blossoms are the real star here, subjective of course.

tweak

1-added global color desaturation

2-added selective color saturation to just the pink blossoms

Hope this helps and thanks for posting !

Take care,
    Dwayne Oakes

p316474168.jpg