Pool Competitive Swimming Tips

BDubBDub Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited September 28, 2005 in Sports
I'm new to photography and looking for tips on shooting compettive swimming. Here is one of my better photographs. I concentrate on getting shots of kids faces or easily recognizable action shots. If I can't tell who the kid is in the shot I chuck it.

I mostly shoot in auto. I understand ap priority and shutter priority in theory but not in practice. I do own a polarizer filter.

37901529-L.jpg

Comments

• BrettGBrettG Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2005
    I can't see your photo unless I go to your smugmug gallery... do you have external links enabled?

Edit - ok, I see the pic now.

As far as tips, I'm no expert (especially not for competitive swimming), but I'd say go shutter priority with a high enough speed to freeze the action, and let the aperture float. If you're shooting outdoors you'll probably have plenty of light. Indoors might be a problem, but there's not a lot you can do about that (I have no idea if a flash would be useful in these circumstances)
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2005
    I see it. Looks like a faster shutterspeed would do the trick here. It wouldn't be so bright, and it would be crispy clear. I use alot of Shutter priority as sometimes auto and Aperture modes can be a little too low in shutterspeed. Try it in both a few times and compare. Right click on the photos afterwards and go to Properties to read the EXIF info about your camera settings. You'll see real quick what works and what doesn't.