Options

Is there a good travel tripod that can handle FF camera with Telephoto Zoom?

bobbykbobbyk Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited March 30, 2011 in Accessories
I wrote another little post to my blog about my experience with a Benro Travel Angel.

You can read it here:
http://www.bobkeenanphoto.com/benro-travel-ange-c0691tb00-reviewed/

The short version is that it was great a couple years ago with a smaller dslr and kit lens but it's not doing the job with my current set-up. Like a Canon 5DMkII, and a 70-200mm f2.8... sometimes with a tele-extender.

Anybody have any good experiences with a travel tripod that can fit in a normal size suit case (does not have to be carryon)?

--
Bob Keenan
http://www.bobkeenanphoto.com/

Comments

• Options
    edited March 30, 2011
    Gitso versus Feisol???
    I spent several hours last night (yes hours... I go nuts over this stuff) making a spread sheet on all of the tripods that I would consider " Travel Tripods" that could hold my Canon 5DmkII and a 70-200mm f2.8 lens nice and still.

It comes down to the Gitzo 2540T or the Gitzo 2541 OR the Feisol CT-3442S or the Feisol CT-3442.

The Gitzo path leads to a $900-1000 price tag (with a new head)
    The Feisol path leads to a $500-600 price tag (with a new head)

I have read nothing but good comments and reviews on all of these tripod and their companies. Of course there are many more Gitzo users out there. The $400 savings from Feisol lures me in....but I made a mistake before when I got the Benro travel angel.

I can afford either one...but the Gitzo stings and bites into my next lens budget.

What to do...
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    What are your requirements for a travel tripod? What length folded are you looking to be under? What weight?

Which head are you getting? I recently got the Really Right Stuff TVC 23, and it is by far a better tripod than the Gitzo. They have the TVC24 which looks like it meets your specs. It does cost more, but it is a fantastic tripod. Like I said, significantly better and more stable than the Gitzo.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    What are your requirements for a travel tripod? What length folded are you looking to be under? What weight?

Which head are you getting? I recently got the Really Right Stuff TVC 23, and it is by far a better tripod than the Gitzo. They have the TVC24 which looks like it meets your specs. It does cost more, but it is a fantastic tripod. Like I said, significantly better and more stable than the Gitzo.

Folded length- <20in
    Max height wo column- >52"
    Max height with column - >62"
    Max weight- <4lbs
    Max Load - >20lbs

As for the head - I want a ball head. I probably don't want to spend more than $300. It should fit the tripod without screwing up the fold diameter and it should have a load capability of at least 20lbs.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    The RSS TVC 24 plus a center column will come closest to meeting your spec's. The tripod legs themselves are a tad short, but once you add the center column you will be there. The TVC 23 is close, but won't meet your folded up spec.

I have the TVC 24 and even though they are 4 section legs it is very solid.
    bobbyk wrote: »
    Folded length- <20in
    Max height wo column- >52"
    Max height with column - >62"
    Max weight- <4lbs
    Max Load - >20lbs

As for the head - I want a ball head. I probably don't want to spend more than $300. It should fit the tripod without screwing up the fold diameter and it should have a load capability of at least 20lbs.
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    This will sound crazy, but I like my gorillapod focus with my Gitzo ball head. At some point, I will get the Joby/Gorillapod ball head for a smaller lighter package. It is a sweet Arca Swiss mini ballhead. The Gorillapod is my vacation tripod. I have used it with my D3s and an 80-200AFS. That is some weight. That thing just clings on to things. You do have to be creative to use it. It is terrible just standing on its own. It needs to be wrapped onto things or laid out like an octopus.

Clinging on at Bryce.
    930707344_w9zfq-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2011
    Gorrilapod
    Zerodog wrote: »
    This will sound crazy, but I like my gorillapod focus with my Gitzo ball head. At some point, I will get the Joby/Gorillapod ball head for a smaller lighter package. It is a sweet Arca Swiss mini ballhead. The Gorillapod is my vacation tripod. I have used it with my D3s and an 80-200AFS. That is some weight. That thing just clings on to things. You do have to be creative to use it. It is terrible just standing on its own. It needs to be wrapped onto things or laid out like an octopus.

I have had a couple of gorillapods. They are handy but they do not fit every situation. I have a tough enough time composing my images without being limited to a position where I can lash one of these guys on to something.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2011
    Fits needs but expensive!
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    The RSS TVC 24 plus a center column will come closest to meeting your spec's. The tripod legs themselves are a tad short, but once you add the center column you will be there. The TVC 23 is close, but won't meet your folded up spec.

I have the TVC 24 and even though they are 4 section legs it is very solid.

You are right. They look like they would work. But are they worth that much compared to a similar product at Gitzo for $700 or Feisol for $300?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    Against the Gitzo, yes. Significantly better and more stable. The Feisol? Well, that's such a different price point that all bets are off.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    This has been through heck the past several months, and still does the job and does not shake or slip: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=176088 — still an excellent bang for the buck in my opinion. It simply works and works well as a travel tripod.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    If you can handle $4-$500 the Gitzo 2531 is awesome, and travels in a regular suitcase or carryon (I traveled with it in a standard carryon for years). It's quite a good tripod. I recently switched to the RRS TVC-23, because I wanted a little bit more stability. But make no mistake, you can be really successful with the Gitzo!
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2011
    How I chose my Travel Tripod
    Andy wrote: »
    If you can handle $4-$500 the Gitzo 2531 is awesome, and travels in a regular suitcase or carryon (I traveled with it in a standard carryon for years). It's quite a good tripod. I recently switched to the RRS TVC-23, because I wanted a little bit more stability. But make no mistake, you can be really successful with the Gitzo!

That is the conclusion I came to today. I went with the 2541 and a Kirk head.

I posted the question yesterday looking for advice on what is a good travel tripod for a FF camera with larger lenses like a canon 70-200mm f2.8. I took the responses, did a bunch of research, and ordered one today. The Gitzo GT2541. It will be my first Gitzo so I am looking forward to that. If you want to see the spreadsheet I came up with you can see it here:

http://www.bobkeenanphoto.com/?p=1518

If you have this tripod let me know what you think of it pls.