Options

Do Grasshoppers Have False Teeth ??

SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
edited October 2, 2005 in Holy Macro
Hi everyone..well I made it back from my long trip to America all in one piece :D

I was looking for bugs one day.....well okay most days I was looking for bugs, and I found this grasshopper.

I cracked up laughing when I saw this image on the computer because it looks like he has a big set of false teeth....he was enjoying the flower, and didn't stop chewing on it for the most part, so I was lucky he was just sitting still.

Nice to be back............I missed you guys :D
Enjoy......... Skippy (Australia)

IMG_8118copy2_filtered.jpg
Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited September 28, 2005
    Welcome Back. Skippy!! You have been missed!! thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2005
    Great shot skippy- almost looks like a skull (except the eyes are going the wrong way rolleyes1.gif ).

Brian V.
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    Welcome back Skippyclap.gif . Nice shot, I'm sure you've got tons more where that came from. So how many did you come back with?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    Awwww shucks :)
    pathfinder wrote:
    Welcome Back. Skippy!! You have been missed!! thumb.gif
    Well.......... I missed you guys too, but I was busy having a ball rolleyes1.gif
    My friend in Ohio just sent me the video clip of this Ostrich doing it's wonderful dance, and I can hear my voice in the background singing....... you put your right hand in......you put your right hand out :lol4

It's great to be back........thanks :D Skippy (Australia)

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    Thank you Brian
    Great shot skippy- almost looks like a skull (except the eyes are going the wrong way rolleyes1.gif ).

Brian V.
    I was glad to find something a decent size to photograph while I was in USA.
    The bugs I find in my garden (if you can call it a garden) are almost always very small.........I couldn't help but notice how much bigger the bugs were, especially the ants and flies.

I'm yet to go through all my images......having only had one and a half days at home before going back to work is making it a little more difficult to sort through them all.......hopefully next time I can take my laptop with me.

Thanks for looking :D Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    Hi Ya Nick
    gluwater wrote:
    Welcome back Skippyclap.gif . Nice shot, I'm sure you've got tons more where that came from. So how many did you come back with?
    Well......tooooooo many hehehe rolleyes1.gif would have been less if I could have viewed them while I was away, but because I couldn't I kept everything.
    Must have taken close to 3,000 I guess ?? not real sure cause I know I doubled up on the downloads a couple of times.

Sometimes I'd try and take a series so that I could attempt to do a Pano, but I did not have a tripod during this trip, however I think once I used a monopod.
    I dearly would love a decent Tripod and Head for next years even, it would have made a difference for sure.

Thanks for the welcome back :D Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    Welcome back Skippy:D. I think this one does have false teeth, the George Washington specials (wood).

Looking forward to seeing your travel pictures, and don't forget the bug pictures too.

See ya on your next post,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    About time skip ! Welcome back & a great shot.

Gus
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    Welcome back Skippy clap.gif I though maybe you had decided to stay here....lol

Yep, that hopper looks like he has fake teeth to me also...lol Although, I've never been that close to one before rolleyes1.gif

Sounds like you had a good time and I can't wait to see some of the other 3000 shots you got thumb.gif

Good ta have ya back :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Thanks Chris
    Welcome back Skippy:D. I think this one does have false teeth, the George Washington specials (wood).

Looking forward to seeing your travel pictures, and don't forget the bug pictures too.

See ya on your next post,
    Chris
    Awwwww I missed all you folks........these next two weeks I will be working heaps of overtime as we go live with our new computer system at work, so I may not be around much as of Monday till things settle down.....
    Sooooooooo ole George had false teeth did he ? hehehe ... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    Hey Gus
    Humungus wrote:
    About time skip ! Welcome back & a great shot.

Gus
    Well how the heck are ya Gus........ I had a ball, trip back was not so great took over 30 hrs not including the one and half hour drive to the Airport in Columbus.

I originally was only going to go for 5 weeks, then changed it to 6 weeks, then changed it to 7, now I wish I had of made it 8 or 9 hehehe......but I really wanted to be back at work when the new computer system was installed because it is soooooooo different to the one we are using right now.

Tomorrow it goes live for the weekend, then we get our first full on work load on Monday........we've been asked to work beyond midnight for the first two weeks till it's teething problems are resolved.

Nice to be back Gus, now I'm busy saving up for the next trip :)
    Take Care.......... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    Hi Ya Steve
    Welcome back Skippy clap.gif I though maybe you had decided to stay here....lol

Yep, that hopper looks like he has fake teeth to me also...lol Although, I've never been that close to one before rolleyes1.gif

Sounds like you had a good time and I can't wait to see some of the other 3000 shots you got thumb.gif

Good ta have ya back :D

Steve
    Ohhhhhh I could live in USA in a heart beat, I love it there, when I go over there it feels like home, I never feel like a stranger in America.

Little things amuse me, when I was in Ohio I as able to go to work with my friend and I mostly looked for bugs on the 200 acre property their company is on, so hey I was in bug heaven hehehe....... while I was on this trip, I learnt that I really do need a tripod.

I had a wonderful time, had great company the entire time, what more could ya want ? I'm still going through the photos, I know I took heaps but there's a lot of junk one's in amongst it all too.

It's nice to be back Steve, take Care......... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2005
    Nice to see you back Skipclap.gif

Can't wait to see your view of our side of the worldthumb.gif

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited October 1, 2005
    Hey, there she is
    Was wondering if you got lost somewhere in the outbacks of the western US.

Welcome back Skippy!

Grasshoppers do have false teeth, since they are not teeth as we know them. Now... did you get any good squirrel pictures?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    Hey Hi there Susan & Eric
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    Nice to see you back Skipclap.gif

Can't wait to see your view of our side of the worldthumb.gif

Eric
    Ohhhhhh I love your side of the world hehehe.......
    My most dearest friends live in the U S of A , that's what draws me back there time and time again, I miss them :D
    Take Care......I'm slowly editing and posting.....taking forever to do it.
    Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    Hi David
    David_S85 wrote:
    Was wondering if you got lost somewhere in the outbacks of the western US.

Welcome back Skippy!

Grasshoppers do have false teeth, since they are not teeth as we know them. Now... did you get any good squirrel pictures?
    Hey I did get lost for 4 hrs in the woods all three of us, and they even had maps and a compass too hehehe rolleyes1.gif got a tad worried when I realized they were not sure where we were either eek7.gif I mean heck I already knew I was no use to them when it comes to directions rolleyes1.gif I was just hoping they'd figure it out before it got dark and we would have been well and truely having to spend the night right where we were cause it would have been too dangerous to try and walk out at night.

We had a good time though ha ha ha ha got to see the forest in a way that I really don't care to see it ever again rolleyes1.gif

Ohhhhhhh and I didn't get one squirrel shot at all........I did get to see one little fellow fall out of the tree and land on the ground, he was a bit stunned and looked at me as if to say....tell me you didnt see me do that?? rolleyes1.gif
    Maybe next year........fingers crossed.
    Thanks for the welcome back David........ Skippy (Australia)