Options

From The Edge with Peter Lik - TV show!

50D50D Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited June 21, 2011 in The Big Picture
From the Edge With Peter Lik
Big Island, Hawaii
8:00-8:30p | Ch 102 TWC(Airdate March 31, 2011) Hawaii is featured in the premiere of this series, in which photographer Peter Lik travels America shooting landscape scenes.

this will be on "The Weather Channel" on Sacramento comcast channel 102,or whatever your weather channel # is,

IMO it might be interesting for us photographers.

http://www.weather.com/tv/tvshows/peter-lik

http://www.peterlikexposed.com/archives/964
Canon 50D_Canon 24-105L_Sigma 30mm EX_Sigma 10-20mm EX 4-5.6_Canon 430EX II_Manfrotto 190XPROB/324RC2

Comments

• Options
    crowcrow Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    cool, thanks for the heads up.
    jfghckgvlhyvluijhb;ijol m,lll
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited March 30, 2011
    From the Edge with Peter Lik
    Some time ago, Art Wolfe did a program on photography that was called Travels to the Edge in which he shot from various locations and provided some tips as well.

It's the Weather Channel's turn to produce a photography show. It's called From the Edge and premieres on March 31st. Should be an interesting show as he crosses the country shooting.

Find out more here.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    Yes! I have been waiting for this for months! Im am soooo excited! I love Peter Lik!!!!thumb.gifthumbclap.gif
  • Options
    Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    Great tip, I'm setting my dvr right now.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2011
    While I enjoyed seeing the places Lik went, I can't say there's anything really special about the show itself. I'd like it if they spent more time at a location. Maybe talking about picking shooting locations or something.

I'll keep watching because of the locations.

Oh, and Weather Channel? Weather at the 8's kinda wrecks the show. Just sayin' lol3.gif
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »
    Oh, and Weather Channel? Weather at the 8's kinda wrecks the show. Just sayin' lol3.gif

Hehe... Weather on the 8s is why TWC is one of my wife's favorite channels. She won't even turn on the HD version channel b/c the Weather on the 8s is different than the SD one. She just has to know what the weather is like every 10 minutes or so. I don't know why she can't just look outside. :D
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2011
    Hehe... Weather on the 8s is why TWC is one of my wife's favorite channels. She won't even turn on the HD version channel b/c the Weather on the 8s is different than the SD one. She just has to know what the weather is like every 10 minutes or so. I don't know why she can't just look outside. :D

One of the local radio news stations has traffic and weather every 10 minutes. I'm not sure why--the traffic reports are often out of date by the time they first report them and I'm not sure how much the weather changes in 10 minutes either. They spend more time on station identification and advertising their traffic/weather segments than giving any real information.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
    I like Local on the 8s, but I dont' know why they're different for HD and SD.... The SD version is more helpful, but the HD looks better (not just because it's HD). Maybe they should switch off or something.

But I rarely check either, because the great thing about Fios (other than missing all those football games rolleyes1.giflol3) is that you get channel 49 Weatherscan. Very nice setup, no commercials, it just cycles through the radar, satellite, air condition, forecast etc. Very helpful just at a glance, plus the radar is always there in the corner. I just wish they'd show the satellite more often. And it's SD. If they made it HD they could fit more on the screen and make it look better!
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2011
    If you missed it the rerun is on now until 3pm eastern time.
  • Options
    Twisted ImageTwisted Image Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
    The show was pretty good. I thought Peter Lik was going to be a bit over the top personality wise but it worked well in that first episode.

Travels From the Edge was a great series. Art Wolfe is trying to find the funding to do another season.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2011
    From what little I watched, it looked like he was using a medium format camera. I was kinda surprised that the telescope was only, what was it, 40mp? It must have been built in like 2001 or something :)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
    Just watched Ep 1. He's over-the-top for sure, it's McTV, trying to appeal to the masses that like Jersey Shore, Survivorman, etc. Heh. Cool that he shot with the Mamiya MF digital on the tripodded stuff, but I can't help but wonder if a Nikon or Canon DSLR would've been better for the shots shooting the lava from the boat.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2011
    Exactly what I was thinking, Andy... I can't imagine that his MF cameras provide enough speed on most adventures for him. Tripod, yes, but don't tell me he never needs more than 3 fps...

I didn't watch the whole show, but it seemed like they weren't showing the camera much. How did you know it's a Mamiya?:D
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2011
    As cool as the 645 is, I think he'd get much better shots with either a Canon or Nikon. I think his shots were chosen more for viewer impact than anything.

I did like the night stuff on Mauna Kea though. That was pretty cool.
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2011
    Does anyone still watch this? I just watched the one from this past Thursday and saw him using a Canon sometimes. It looked like a 5DII, as it didn't have the integrated grip. It was either the 16-35L or the 17-40L. In the intro it looks like he's using a rangefinder of some sort? In the scene where he says, "I love the sound of that shutter!"
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2011
    I'm still watching too.
  • Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    In the intro it looks like he's using a rangefinder of some sort? In the scene where he says, "I love the sound of that shutter!"

I believe that is a Linhof Technorama 6x17 rangefinder. As we all recall the dark ages before stitching in a computer, the 6x17 with Velvia or other slow film made an incredible panorama format. Hasselblad had the x-pan also...maybe that is what it is? It flashes by too quick for good look and I haven't bothered reviewing with the DVR.

Also, it is definitely a Mamiya but I didn't think it was digital. Thought he was film in the 645 also. Maybe I missed a shot of the back or a cable dangling out?

When you see him shooting then they show the pictures like the recent Grand Canyon episode I am thinking he is going HDR. Either that or the video camera recording the show has terrible exposure latitude compared to his camera.

Entertaining at least.