Amanda

tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
edited April 4, 2011 in People
These are photos for Amanda's upcoming CD. She didn't really have too much in mind other than getting something green. More on my site.

c8d23f93f7ed80a3ce7420839c13afa4.jpg

f53bc06f1ff7323291ce2bb6f50da282.jpg

2f29d8546091ecb3ceec65863ef912b7.jpg

7654fcb686efef702b4e8c23523d65aa.jpg

8c2cc3199c107074496d67d5892789b1.jpg

Comments

• TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    #1 is SO beautiful!!! And I love the lighting in #3 and #5, wowza as usual :D
    Canon Fan
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    You've got some nice shots here....
    #1 is a perfect example of how off camera strobes (flash) would have helped considerably with the blown areas on her arms and legs observing the sunny sixteen rule.
    #2 I like the lighting overall but wish that her eyes were better highlighted.
    #3 Nice moody shot, I would try and pull the shadows out a hair though as they are a bit strong. I'm not real sure about the composition but it does seem to work with the lines drawing you to her face.
    #4 Very nice conversion but perhaps a tighter crop would work better...hard to tell if her face is blown a bit.
    #5 The lighting is nice, over all image is a wee bit on the dark side but it works as does the composition because of the direction her eyes.
    She should be pleased with these....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2011
    Thanks for the thoughts and ideas Rey! A lot of this was seasoned to taste, but the one that I really agree with you on was #1. I would have loved to pump some light at her (and tried) but I didn't trust a light in the river without someone to hold it. I have some shots from a different angle where she was farther away from the river and and lit her up, but I think this one still works better.
  • TGAllenTGAllen Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2011
    I really like the lighting and composition on #3 and #5.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2011
    TGAllen wrote: »
    I really like the lighting and composition on #3 and #5.

yup..these were my favs
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif #3 looks cinematic. Great composition!
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
    #1, #3, #5. thumb.gif
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • idoteechidoteech Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    Love #5!
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
  • B JoynerB Joyner Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    I really like all of them. Love the angles and composition.
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    You've got some nice shots here....
    #1 is a perfect example of how off camera strobes (flash) would have helped considerably with the blown areas on her arms and legs observing the sunny sixteen rule.

Rey,

If he followed the sunny 16 rule and added fill flash, you're right that the highlights would be controlled, but stopping down that much increases the DOF way too much, in this instance. The subject wouldn't stand out, and the photo would be much more busy with the background competing for the viewer's eye.

I like his choice of using his lens wide open. Sometimes you need to break the rules to get the desired effect... :):
  • tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    bobcool wrote: »
    Rey,

If he followed the sunny 16 rule and added fill flash, you're right that the highlights would be controlled, but stopping down that much increases the DOF way too much, in this instance. The subject wouldn't stand out, and the photo would be much more busy with the background competing for the viewer's eye.

I like his choice of using his lens wide open. Sometimes you need to break the rules to get the desired effect... :):

FWIW, here's a shot of her taken about five feet away at nearly the same time of day, but this time with fill light. It certainly lights her up, but doesn't solve the problem of the blown out highlights on her. In order to do it properly, I would have had to fly some scrims to shade her, then light her up. Not something I was going to do all by myself in the wind. Or I could have just taken the picture at sometime other than 2pm.

ee118d3c5151c893166fd88f956a9193.jpg
    edited April 4, 2011
    bobcool wrote: »
    Rey,

You're right.
    As I embark on my journey of shooting in daylight with strobes I find myself making these compromises/decisions all the time...

Still a great shot though
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited April 4, 2011
    FWIW, here's a shot of her taken about five feet away at nearly the same time of day, but this time with fill light. It certainly lights her up, but doesn't solve the problem of the blown out highlights on her. In order to do it properly, I would have had to fly some scrims to shade her, then light her up. Not something I was going to do all by myself in the wind. Or I could have just taken the picture at sometime other than 2pm.

ee118d3c5151c893166fd88f956a9193.jpg

That would be quite a hassle indeed but I find the highlights here tolerable though you did lose that bokeh. I agree it's the choices we must make when we are out on location. :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo