Last series baseball for my son

NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
edited September 29, 2005 in Sports
Hi, my son has played baseball for 9 years, being drafted by the Blue Jays 10 years ago. He is in the minors back east, and this probably will be his last year so we flew back and I took some photos for a book to surprise him with.

Unfortunately no L lenses here. Would have loved a 70-200mm2.8 IS for the evening! But I had my trusty ol' 75-300,5.6 IS and had to deal with very low light. Some photos were good though. Glad for the IS! Makes a big difference. But I had to keep my speeds in the 1/250 range for enough light. Made a few B&W, because I didn't like the bright green grass. ;~) Love the old nostalgic feeling of it...
37787827-L.jpg
Had some good catches and some hits too...
37787845-L.jpg
Passing time during a pitching change...
37787831-L.jpg

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited September 29, 2005
    Very nice Linda thumb.gifthumb.gif I like the B&W treatment too clap.gif It really is nostalgic and IMO brings out some nice contrasts. Maybe I think so because I just watched "Field of Dreams" for the 40th time last night.....Laughing.gif "Go the distance" headscratch.gif

Sorry to hear that it will probably be your son's last year in pro ball. He should be extremely proud of how far he made it :D Millions of ballplayers never even get anywhere near the "Big Dance".

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    Netgarden wrote:
    Made a few B&W, because I didn't like the bright green grass. ;~)
    Love the shots, and I like the b&w. If you wanted to tone down the grass, it's not hard to do, especially in LAB. We're running a reading group, if you haven't already heard, covering Dan Margulis' latest book on the subject.

Maybe post a color version if you want one of us to show you how it's done. Very easy.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    P.S. How are you going to make the book?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    Hi Linda,
    Nice gallery of shots, but #1 here is my favorite. Some motion blur showing action yet still sharpthumb.gif. Good shot and I do like the B&W treatment here.

Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    I'm with Steve.

Beauty-full. The B&W feel is wonderful.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I enjoyed myself as last time I was there I only had a P&S, so this was fun.

I had a book made of some of my photos and I like it alot. Easier and also cheaper than frames and large prints for the wall, and you can add as many as you like to the book. About $30 for 25 pages, but they actually look nicer with about 40 pages so they run around $50. Heres a photo of mine:
    11811553-M.jpg
    11811550-M.jpg

Heres the link to a few places that do them, although I am not sure which ones are best.
    http://www.clarkcolor.com/storephotobooks/t_=0

http://www.shutterfly.com/shop/product_c10011-p2031/Photo_Books_Hardcover_Photo_Books

Steve, we love that movie also. Loved League of Their Own and Bull Durham. Great stuff!
    David thanks for the lab info, I will check it out. Thinking I will do the book all in Black and white tho.
    Thanks Chris, I like no. 1 too. Loved the big one of it shows all the peoples faces during the hit. Ball hit the fence. Unfortunately Ryan had a broken bone this year so he missed 40 games which hurt his stats alot. Normally he is a homerun hitter. He had only 12 this year. It's been a great experience for the whole family. He made it as far as the 40 man roster of the Blue Jays one year. Thats pretty exciting to see your son listed in Sports Ills. I think he's going to coach next year.
    Again, thanks for your comments.