Playing with virtual backgrounds

djamesdjames Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
edited April 3, 2011 in People
I recently purchased a virtual background system and have started learning how to use it. A willing model (read cousin) and a little time.

1235652774_v4CS2-L.jpg

1235653012_w7n5C-M.jpg

1235652555_7BJme-M.jpg

1235652405_tWauJ-M.jpg

1235652262_g9WEh-M.jpg

1235652138_boV9X-M.jpg

1235652018_RZmNs-M.jpg

1235651887_XeyAV-M.jpg

Creative comments are appreciated.
http://www.djames-photography.com
In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2011
    Very interesting I must say and I like the concept.
    Is there a way to light the subjects that would make the virtual backdrops "more" realistic or should I say "in the same light"?
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2011
    You can use dodge and burn to even out the tones in the subject and background, to get a more "even" light.
    Looks like fun.
  • djamesdjames Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2011
    There are a multitude of ways you can adjust the lighting by moving the position, strength, color filters etc. to modify how the model looks. Many photo studios use strobes outdoors to light the subject as well as reflectors of different colors. The results can be very simular to results using a virtual background in a studio and studio lighting.
    In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
    Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.
    edited April 1, 2011
    djames wrote: »
    There are a multitude of ways you can adjust the lighting by moving the position, strength, color filters etc. to modify how the model looks. Many photo studios use strobes outdoors to light the subject as well as reflectors of different colors. The results can be very simular to results using a virtual background in a studio and studio lighting.

More specifically I meant with regards to this system. The subjects and backgrounds do not appear to be in the same light scheme.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 1, 2011
    The only BG's I like are #4 & #7. The pose in #4 has that exorcist head spinning around look...
    edited April 1, 2011
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    More specifically I meant with regards to this system. The subjects and backgrounds do not appear to be in the same light scheme.

The backgrounds are a slide that is projected with a strobe for lighting. Think of a projector with a flash tube for the light. The color of the background is dependant on the original photographer and whether you place any color gels to modify the slide color.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2011
    Nice pix......

Is this an Environmental Projection Systems...system......I think they changed names several years ago to just Virtual Backgrounds.....
    I looked at these over 20 yrs ago....but did not like the fact that I was tied to a stand with camera behind projector and beam splitter.....
    I helped to set one up and shot a few shots and they looked good but due to the projection system, you were tied to that camera stand....
    Do they still use the Aurora Lights for main and fills????
    I get on the floor and shoot up or get on a ladder and shoot down.....so that type of system is a no go for me.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited April 2, 2011
    djames wrote: »
    The backgrounds are a slide that is projected with a strobe for lighting. Think of a projector with a flash tube for the light. The color of the background is dependant on the original photographer and whether you place any color gels to modify the slide color.

I see, thanks :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited April 2, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Nice pix......

Is this an Environmental Projection Systems...system......I think they changed names several years ago to just Virtual Backgrounds.....
    I looked at these over 20 yrs ago....but did not like the fact that I was tied to a stand with camera behind projector and beam splitter.....
    I helped to set one up and shot a few shots and they looked good but due to the projection system, you were tied to that camera stand....
    Do they still use the Aurora Lights for main and fills????
    I get on the floor and shoot up or get on a ladder and shoot down.....so that type of system is a no go for me.......

Yes you are still tied to a stand. If you were to remove the camera from the stand/projection beam splitter you would get a bad shadow on the background. The subject casts a shadow, but if the camera is on the same plane, the shadow is hidden behind the subject. They do have a stand now that allows the camera and projector to be adjusted up and down with a counter balance system to make movement easier. You can use any lighting system to light the subject that gives controlable light.
    edited April 2, 2011
    In looking at my images in another program I came to the conclusion that the light on my right was at least one stop to bright. That would have made a big difference in how the lighting of the overall photo appeared.
    edited April 3, 2011
    Yes, I think is the issue as well.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    I think, as is, you could do some really cool looking retro shots with the right clothing and lighting.

The reason this comes to mind is that looking at your examples it reminded me of movies and a few TV dramas from years ago when they used to project moving background scenes behind the actors.

Personally, I think that would be cool to play with. Greggory Peck and Audry Hepburn anyone?
    edited April 3, 2011
    Thanks to each of you that took the time to post a comment. The model was very pleased with the 11X14 that I gave her.