Options

Upgrade to CS5

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited April 3, 2011 in Finishing School
I initially started with CS3 and when CS4 arrived I upgraded. I was wondering if anyone can briefly tell me what the benefits would be if I upgraded to CS5.
Cheers
Bob

Comments

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/whatsnew/index.html?segment=design

If you're on a mac, you also get 64-bit. However, check that any filters you have are 64-bit compatible.

Also, although not trumpeted as much, there were several tweaks to the interface from Adobe's Just Do It initiative. These are little things that make PS more usable. For example:

Saving a 16-bit file to an 8-bit format (Tiff to jpeg, for example) no longer requires you to go into the Mode screen to change your file format.

The ruler tool now has a straighten button added, which allows you to automatically straightens and crops your image.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2011
    MarkR wrote: »
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/whatsnew/index.html?segment=design

If you're on a mac, you also get 64-bit. However, check that any filters you have are 64-bit compatible.

Also, although not trumpeted as much, there were several tweaks to the interface from Adobe's Just Do It initiative. These are little things that make PS more usable. For example:

Saving a 16-bit file to an 8-bit format (Tiff to jpeg, for example) no longer requires you to go into the Mode screen to change your file format.

The ruler tool now has a straighten button added, which allows you to automatically straightens and crops your image.
    Thanks for that Mark, I am not on a Mac.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    canon400d wrote: »
    I initially started with CS3 and when CS4 arrived I upgraded. I was wondering if anyone can briefly tell me what the benefits would be if I upgraded to CS5.
    Cheers
    Bob

One thought Bob; assuming you are still exploiting all the good stuff in CS4, have not hit any limitations with it and are not in any particular rush, the fact that we are perhaps half way through the life cycle of CS5, it might be worth waiting for CS6.

I am currently on CS4 and often think about CS5 or Lightroom - mainly for the improved raw features - but in the end I will wait now until CS6 and/or LR4 make their appearance.

Anthony.

PS. I did get a new PC recently and moved over to 64bit Photoshop which seems to have been a good thing.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2011
    Anthony wrote: »
    One thought Bob; assuming you are still exploiting all the good stuff in CS4, have not hit any limitations with it and are not in any particular rush, the fact that we are perhaps half way through the life cycle of CS5, it might be worth waiting for CS6.

I am currently on CS4 and often think about CS5 or Lightroom - mainly for the improved raw features - but in the end I will wait now until CS6 and/or LR4 make their appearance.

Anthony.

PS. I did get a new PC recently and moved over to 64bit Photoshop which seems to have been a good thing.

Anthony that is good enough for me, I will wait to see what CS6 has to offer. I am perfectly happy with CS 4 so I will wait.
    Cheers
    Bob