Options

shooting with baldy

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited July 11, 2004 in Holy Macro
i met up with baldy in san francisco on friday. we talked smugmug business and bs'd about gear, lenses and shooting :wink

here's baldy, we were in a dim restaurant in north beach, san francisco.

5957653-M.jpg

after dinner, we headed over to treasure islande to get some night shots of sf.

baldy had me climbing like a billy goat up to this hillside on the coast guard base there, right near the admiral's quarters (i think it was his backyard)... and lemme tell ya it's not easy climbing like a billy goat after a gigantic and delicious italian meal in north beach (ravioli, veal saltimbocca...etc). anyhow, we get up there, and turns out that there are some new trees blocking the vista .. so we did the best we could. in addition, the giants were playing a home baseball game, so the ballpark was lit up with a gigantic beacon of light, washing out a big hole in the shot. anyhow, here's one version of the night shot.

5969689-L.jpg

and here's one, shot in infrared, from earlier in the day:

5957655-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    Love the one of the Giants park exploding with light. It makes you look at that spot...it's cool. SF is so cool...
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    This one is Beautiful...
    andy wrote:
    ...after dinner, we headed over to treasure islande to get some night shots of sf... the giants were playing a home baseball game, so the ballpark was lit up with a gigantic beacon of light, washing out a big hole in the shot. anyhow, here's one version...

5969689-M.jpg
    Andy:
    Hope that you and "Baldy" had an enjoyable and profitable visit...Always good for the mind and soul when a business trip can have some aspects of a vacation... Lessens life's stress levels.

Having been in SF last fall, I can appreciate the climb to get a shot like this of the bridge. I was there during the day... Your night shot is much more impressive and takes on a very romantic air. I really like it.

But I love the force of the waves in this one, too. The white of the waves juxtaposed against the darkness of the water and the craggy landscape in the background. Perfect exposure here, covering all the tonal ranges from blackest black to white. Really awesome.
    5957655-M.jpg

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    Sounds like you had fun. Great shots of a beautiful city. How long will you be in town? If your still here today, you should stop by the farmers market for some good food & candids. Its at Market & Embarcadero.

I'm heading there in a few to do some shopping. This is where my gf & I get most of our fresh produce.

Dave
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    too bad! i'm already back in ny ;(
    dkapp wrote:
    Sounds like you had fun. Great shots of a beautiful city. How long will you be in town? If your still here today, you should stop by the farmers market for some good food & candids. Its at Market & Embarcadero.

I'm heading there in a few to do some shopping. This is where my gf & I get most of our fresh produce.

Dave

took the redeye home last night. just a quickie visit!

thanks, dave.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i met up with baldy in san francisco on friday. we talked smugmug business and bs'd about gear, lenses and shooting mwink.gif

here's baldy, we were in a dim restaurant in north beach, san francisco.

5957653-S.jpg

It looks like you ate at the Fior d'Italia by Washington Park. If thats the place, I'm sure you had a great meal. I guess when your San Francisco's oldest Italian Restaurant, you learn a thing or two about making a great dish.

I'm glad you made it home safely. The redeye is never a fun flight.

Dave
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2004
    Great shots.

I hope you stay the moderator of the challenge forever, so that you cant enter it.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    It looks like you ate at the Fior d'Italia by Washington Park. If thats the place, I'm sure you had a great meal. I guess when your San Francisco's oldest Italian Restaurant, you learn a thing or two about making a great dish.

I'm glad you made it home safely. The redeye is never a fun flight.

Dave

we did eat at fior! wonderful food. great company. fun shooting. what more can i ask for?

thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    Great shots.

I hope you stay the moderator of the challenge forever, so that you cant enter it.

aw greap, thanks so much. mwink.gif
  • Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2004
    Andy, 2 and 3 are gorgeous. Baldy on the other hand kind of scares me. rolleyes1.gif

I loved the golden gate in IR. I'm in the process of purchasing the 828. I've never actually shot IR and its a big reason why im picking the 828 up. Do you think to start I should get the maxmax upgrade, or should i give it a try for a while with a hoya on board? Easier shooting with the upgrade?

Marshall
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2004
    FreeUps wrote:
    Andy, 2 and 3 are gorgeous. Baldy on the other hand kind of scares me. rolleyes1.gif

I loved the golden gate in IR. I'm in the process of purchasing the 828. I've never actually shot IR and its a big reason why im picking the 828 up. Do you think to start I should get the maxmax upgrade, or should i give it a try for a while with a hoya on board? Easier shooting with the upgrade?

Marshall

thanks so much for the kind? words mwink.gif

on the maxmax conversion....wait. make sure you really dig the ir. then do it.

here's a week's worth of the best reading i can give you on infrared tips, techniques
  • Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2004
    andy wrote:
    thanks so much for the kind? words mwink.gif

hehe. jkjk! he looks like a very nice person :D

Time to get to readin. Thanks for the study material Andy.

Do you feel that once you made the conversion, you had any loss of quality shooting normal photos with the IR blocking..errrr. whatever-they-do filters? Any negative side to it?
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2004
    FreeUps wrote:
    hehe. jkjk! he looks like a very nice person :D

Time to get to readin. Thanks for the study material Andy.

Do you feel that once you made the conversion, you had any loss of quality shooting normal photos with the IR blocking..errrr. whatever-they-do filters? Any negative side to it?

nah. i get plenty of great normal color shots, too. i use the xnitecc1 color correction filter.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i met up with baldy in san francisco on friday.

5957653-M.jpg

No offense intended andy, but that's about the gayest photo I've ever seen...and not just one of Baldy, cuz there are lots of them. :D

Did you shoot Baldy shooting?

6026449-M.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2004
    fish wrote:
    No offense intended andy, but that's about the gayest photo I've ever seen...and not just one of Baldy, cuz there are lots of them. :D

Did you shoot Baldy shooting?

hey, i can only work with what's given me mwink.gif

nah, i couldn't get him shooting b/c we shot at like 11pm. after he had me climbing up a hillside to get this:

6024006-L.jpg
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2004
    Beautiful conversion
    andy wrote:
    nah, i couldn't get him shooting b/c we shot at like 11pm. after he had me climbing up a hillside to get this:

6024006-S.jpg
    Oooh, ahhh... Wee bit o' Photoshop Andy?
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2004
    thanks ginette!
    AltPro wrote:
    Oooh, ahhh... Wee bit o' Photoshop Andy?
    ginette

yep, for sure.

the details are in this thread
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2004
    andy wrote:
    hey, i can only work with what's given me mwink.gif

Wrong answer. You don't sit around waiting for opportunities to be given to you. You seize them.

9622-M-1.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Wrong answer. You don't sit around waiting for opportunities to be given to you. You seize them.

9622-S-1.jpg

i'm finding your definition of "gayest" quite interesting :D:D