The Ride Of The Stars

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited April 3, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
The story of this car is nothing short of a study into Hollywood glitter.

The Packard line of automobiles had earned it's way to the highest level of excellence in design, engineering, and....maybe even most importantly....a degree of " social acceptance " among the motoring elite of the day. They rightfully deserved all the accolades that came their way as they were truly great cars.

There was, however, a crusty, opinionated, somewhat argumentative individual who thought he could make something better out of the car....something more suitable to the really endowed buyer who wanted only the best. This individual was Howard " Dutch " Darrin. This Darrin character considered himself to be a very competent designer....and was not one too shy about espousing his talents to those around him. Fact was, he was actually pretty good. He honed his approach to design while spending quite some time in Europe, studying many of the wonderful works that came from that fertile ground.

He came back to the U.S. and soon set about making his mark. He chose as his " target " the Packard line of cars. You see here the result of his efforts. This is a 1939 Packard 120 Convertible Victoria, more commonly referred to as a Darrin. There were only 12 of these magnificent machines made in 1939. Darrin took the already great Packard 120 and worked his magic on that car....customizing and refining it to what he considered an appropriate level.

This very car was sold to a reigning tennis queen, Helen Wills Moody. The list of Hollywood elite who fell for the Darrin's charms included Tyrone Power, Clark Gable, Errol Flynn, Chester Morris, Al Jolson, Ruby Keeler, Preston Foster, Ann Sheridan, and Gene Krupa. Dick Powell also bought one, however, he sold it not too long after buying it. He claimed that whenever he took it out, the crowds of people became unruly....would chase him down the road, swarm him when he had to stop at red lights.

Tom

BTW, I can see Mary, Liz, and Lauren tooling along in this thing. JUMP BACK....that may be more than we guys could cope with. :D

1237190968_7odsf-X2.jpg

1237191659_TYeAZ-X2.jpg

1237191823_Dk7gj-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
    Another great post from you, Tom. This one is bloody red! rolleyes1.gifWhat I did notice from all of your exotic car posts was that the cars of the past has more character to it than the aerodynamic cars that we have right now. Are the designers missing something? mwink.gif Thanks for sharing, my friend. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
    Oh my .... I am drooling over this car Tom. It's just beautiful. The red is wonderful along with the whitewalls and red trim on the tires. Definitely my kind of car. Sure would love to take it down Hwy 1 ...

Liz, Lauren and I would have a blast in this car. You men ... well we'd surely keep ya hoppin' rolleyes1.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    Another great post from you, Tom. This one is bloody red! rolleyes1.gifWhat I did notice from all of your exotic car posts was that the cars of the past has more character to it than the aerodynamic cars that we have right now. Are the designers missing something? mwink.gif Thanks for sharing, my friend. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Unfortunately, Jiro, the myriad government regulations that have evolved over the years have spelled doom for imaginative styling. Safety regulations....like mandated bumper height, among many, many others....have stifled originality in design. Sad, isn't it?

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Oh my .... I am drooling over this car Tom. It's just beautiful. The red is wonderful along with the whitewalls and red trim on the tires. Definitely my kind of car. Sure would love to take it down Hwy 1 ...

Liz, Lauren and I would have a blast in this car. You men ... well we'd surely keep ya hoppin' rolleyes1.gif

Hey Mary,

Come hell or high water, there'll be a day when a bunch of us get together and cruise around in such a car as this. I'm thinking that it will probably be in Savannah....a most fitting site. I can't wait.

Tom
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    Unfortunately, Jiro, the myriad government regulations that have evolved over the years have spelled doom for imaginative styling. Safety regulations....like mandated bumper height, among many, many others....have stifled originality in design. Sad, isn't it?

Tom

Exactly. What I do know is that if the individual who makes or the one who is trying to pass the law does not really know much about the matter, that's where problems begin. Funny, isn't it? mwink.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    Hey Mary,

Come hell or high water, there'll be a day when a bunch of us get together and cruise around in such a car as this. I'm thinking that it will probably be in Savannah....a most fitting site. I can't wait.

Tom

Savannah, red car and good friends ... I'm looking forward to it thumb.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    I'm ready for Savannah--when are we going? Another great post, Tom, full of info and humor . . . and I'd even give up my pickup truck if I could drive this baby! It might even make me appreciate the 340 days of sunshine here! :D
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com