Helping the clueless competition..

JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
edited April 5, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
OK, so I was a professional photographer. But I technically now am not because I'm on disability due to some body malfunctions... Anyway, I get an email from a local photographer the other day...

The gist of the email was..

I'm taking peoples pictures, shooting weddings, etc.. and I have no clue about things like Aperture, ISO, Shutter Speed, etc.. The basics.

My first thought is, you are doing weddings and have NO CLUE? Are you F*CK%NG SERIOUS?

I know we've all started somewhere but this is a mom-a-be (mommy wanna be photographer) that is seriously going to screw someones wedding up. I don't know if I should laugh my a$$ off or cry.

She wants to get together with me so I can "show her some stuff" but at this point I think a nice book would be better along with a dose of reality. Dunno... I'm torn to say yes, I'll show you some things, my day rate is $xxx. Or say hell no, here is some reading material and please don't shoot another wedding until you know your camera inside/out.

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
    I feel your pain, but don't really see a question here, Jim. I do photography now as a component of my art/s, but in my former life ( twice removed) I had a garage, and fellow mechanics would often say to me, "...I'm wanna come down there for a few minutes and let you show me how you do: such and such"...and I was always, really? You're F___kin kiddin me! Me: "lemme see if I got this straight, you're gonna come down here and in 15 minutes or so I'll be able to show you how I do all my magic?"
    As well, other racers used to ask..."how do you get that car to do that?" And me, "uh, dood, you haven't seen my junk pile!"

Kinda reminds me of a poster I replied to the other day that told me he cannot stand to read his manual, so wants every one to chime in and tell him what to do. Not my gig. If you cannot take time to read, I cannot help you.

You're Mom-a-wanna be sounds very similar to what I've encountered over the last year at all sorts of functions. They can now Chimp, see their result and hell, anyone can do it, right?

I've been "doing" (Digital) photography for about three good years. I figure I've got about 7 years to go to hit mid-journeyman range, so I'm in for the long haul and am prepared for that kind of time-frame.
    tom wise
  • SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
    I vote for "Hell no, here is some reading material and please don't shoot another wedding until you know your camera inside/out."
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
    I am all about mentoring....not necessarily for free but mentoring.........teach her for a fee........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    I vote for charging her or saying no thanks.

If someone has gone out and is taking on weddings and hasn't bothered to teach themselves from the unlimited resources on the net, then I'm more than sure they won't appreciate the time you share for free or any advise you give.

I taught myself by reading every photography book in every libary within a 30 minute bus trip when I was a teenager and there is a lot more info available today and a lot easier for those that are serious.
    I have mentored a few people and therate of learning for those truly serious these days is amazing. all of these people went from amateurs to full time very succesful pros in 3 years or less.
    Like I say, they were serious though and taught themselves all they could learn then asked for me to come with them when they started taking paid work.

I really think this is a big drawback with digital Photography. People press the button, an image appears on the back of the camera and they think they are photographers as good as any other. There sem to be an awful lot with this kind of indignant attitude.
    Learning photography seems to be unessacary as you can fix all your stuffups in 30 min per pic in PS.

I'm sure that will bring lots of the typical Johhny come latelys of the digital age out for a whinge but what would I know? i'm still learning.
    Took one cam with a 50mm lens out yesterday to do a model portfolio shoot and probably did some of my best work ever. Manually metered most of it too. Was good to get back to basics and concerntrate on the pics than the gear.
    Plenty of people I have read of would plead the absoloute nessicity to take 6 lenses at least to a job like that! rolleyes1.gif
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    I agree with Art on the mentoring; however based on the description by the OP, I'm not sure that this person is truly looking for a mentor or just someone that she thinks can teach her everything that she needs to know in a conversation. The fact that she has no clue about the basics and is shooting life changing events is terrifying. I have had an SLR since I was 13 and only in recent years have I reached the point that I am comfortable accepting wedding jobs. The basics is just the first part of the equation. Being able to see a potential image and how to manipulate the environment (light, settings, etc.) to get that image, takes years of experience. That is what separates uncle Joe with his pocket automatic from a professional. The client isn't going to care that they got a photographer for cheap when a once in a lifetime moment is missed. Everyone has to start somewhere but in this case, I would have to agree that you should recommend that she learn her camera AND the foundations of photography via courses, books, and experience long before she ever offers her services for a wedding shoot. If nothing else, you will be helping steer her clear of a potential lawsuit in the making.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    I don't mind helping people that have put in a good solid effort on their own and are stuck with something.
    I learned everything on my own and paid my dues. I have no interest in handing my hard earned knowledge over to someone who feels entitled to it and thinks I should just hand it over.

I would take the opportunity to point out some learning tools to her and encourage her to not charge people money for photography untill she has some idea of how to take pictures.......really....do people need to be told that :).
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    just like most people on here stated : helping a newbie is a good thing. However, the learning progress depends only on how much the newbie cares to learn.

If one cares not to read, and do the research, and come back with specific, well built questions.. then they have no business asking for help. Provide them with good books, and off they go.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook