Parker Canyon Lake, AZ

bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
edited April 11, 2011 in Landscapes
Shot these last week while camping at Parker Canyon Lake, Arizona.

1236657010_JSL2U-L.jpg

Same location later that night from the marina. I regretted not cranking up my ISO a bit more to pick up more of the glow on the lake surface. Lesson learned. :scratch

1244249382_JH6dc-L.jpg

Comments

• oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
    Being able to expose for stars and sunset light in the second shot has to be difficult. Nice.
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    oldoval wrote: »
    Being able to expose for stars and sunset light in the second shot has to be difficult. Nice.

Thanks Nate. The star shot was taken around 10:00 PM I think. What looks like a sunset was actually clouds on the horizon lit up by the city lights of Nogalas, AZ in the distance.

Without cranking up the ISO it was all I could squeeze out of one shot. To really capture what I wanted I should have taken another much longer exposure at low ISO to pick up the light reflecting off the lake and combined the two images.

Next time maybe.:D
  • ashruggedashrugged Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    Brad. I really like the second shot. I would like so see a little more light in the lake and lower sky.
    edited April 6, 2011
    Thanks for the comment Robert.

I agree. It was a lesson learned and I would approach the shot differently now to capture the light in a way to bring that out more.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    Nice Brad! clap.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • eMOJOeMOJO Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    I like it Brad, and having been out shooting astro lately I feel your pain in being dissatisfied with the settings used in camera :cry
    If you can't see the bright side of life...
    POLISH THE DARK SIDE

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 7, 2011
    Like that first one, Brad! It was good to finally meet you last week at the Expo. thumb.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    edited April 7, 2011
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    Nice Brad! clap.gif

Thanks Aaron. Looking back, I wish had taken more time to think through the star shot. It had great potential and my result fell far short of what it could have been. More shooting followed by more shooting will help.:D
    eMOJO wrote: »
    I like it Brad, and having been out shooting astro lately I feel your pain in being dissatisfied with the settings used in camera :cry

Thanks Erren. It just motivates me to get back out there and practice more. :D
    kdog wrote: »
    Like that first one, Brad! It was good to finally meet you last week at the Expo. thumb.gif

Thanks Joel, It was nice meeting you last week. Always a plus having a face to go with an internet ID. rolleyes1.gif

Hopefully we'll find an opportunity to get out and shoot together sometime.
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Very nice, Brad thumb.gif

Thanks for the compliment Dan.
  • chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    Hi Brad - nice.

On #1, I'm curious if you have considered cropping it into a 3:1 ratio pseudo-panoramic???

I think it might be stronger that way - putting the horizon line at about the upper 1/3rd mark, cropping out most of the plain blue sky, and then cropping out a fraction of the bottom, just where the sun's reflection starts to fade.

just a thought.
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

edited April 7, 2011
    chrisdg wrote: »
    Hi Brad - nice.

On #1, I'm curious if you have considered cropping it into a 3:1 ratio pseudo-panoramic???

I think it might be stronger that way - putting the horizon line at about the upper 1/3rd mark, cropping out most of the plain blue sky, and then cropping out a fraction of the bottom, just where the sun's reflection starts to fade.

just a thought.

Good suggestion Chris, thanks. I'll give that a try when I get home tonight.

BTW that sunset shot was two exposures combined with the Lightroom 3 Enfuse plug in. It was the first time I used the Enfuse plug in. I like it. thumb.gif

My primary goal with that shot was to maximize the star flare off the sun as it crossed the horizon (f22). Your pano crop idea may just make it more pronounced in the overall comp.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    Nice set, I hear your frustration on image #2, we can just barely see the reflected water....Damn
    edited April 7, 2011
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Nice set, I hear your frustration on image #2, we can just barely see the reflected water....Damn

Thanks Doug. Just the joys of learning the craft. ne_nau.gif
    chrisdg wrote: »
    Hi Brad - nice.

just a thought.

Chris, here's your crop version. I like it. thumb.gif

1243887643_mFPqA-XL-6.jpg
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    Brad, I like the second shot plenty well as it is--it's so unusual that it grabs your attention. Best, Pam
    edited April 10, 2011
    PGM wrote: »
    Brad, I like the second shot plenty well as it is--it's so unusual that it grabs your attention. Best, Pam

Thanks Pam. Now that I know the city lights are out there I'll have to try to get back down there again when there are just a few clouds on the horizon again and get some longer exposures to play with. The potential is good if the conditions are right.
  • clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    Absolutely LOVE the 2nd!
    edited April 11, 2011
    Absolutely LOVE the 2nd!

Thanks for the comment Clickin.

I have a local backpacking trip planned for next week. I'm hoping the weather is good so I can get some more night practice in. :D