Alpenglow in LA C&C welcomed

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited April 6, 2011 in Landscapes
So, I've been trying to get this shot all season, never managed to time it right with no clouds, and no haze. Was out of town working for the last three big storms, but managed to get back to try the shot one last time for the season before the snow melts. C&C welcome, hopefully I'll get some re-shoots next year ;)

1) Alpenglow in the city. This color is all natural, the only thing I gimped was the levels, didn't play with the colors/saturation/vibrance at all.
1237169002_N5yT3-M.jpg

2) Slightly later-
1237187606_vaGiA-M.jpg

3) Last shot before they kicked everyone out of the park (single shot, pulled two exposure levels out of the raw file)
1237187109_29xh9-M.jpg

4) The ones I tried to get mid-winter
1237162952_ZFUkh-M.jpg
4a) looking the other direction:
1237342970_Vdpi6-M.jpg

5) There were about 10-15 photographers there this night (my shot of the line of photographers might actually be more interesting ;) , there was enough clearing early in the day that people thought there might be a mountain view that night, but the clouds smothered the hills as sunset approached.
1237169762_PGPEV-M.jpg
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments

• czhike88czhike88 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    Nice images. I guessing you shot these at Kenneth Hahn park?
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    Great shots. Love the first. Fourth is really nice with the Hollywood sign against the snow.
    I grew up in LA til the age of 18 and dont recall ever seeing this view. Is Big Bear amongst that mountain range???
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    bowdown.gif I would never ever have guessed your first two shots are in LA! That is simply stunning.
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Yup- Kenneth Hahn SRA, the only place in the city you can get that view.

Eoren--the mountain is old Baldy, aka, Mt. San Antonio, it's west of the 15/Cajon Pass, the Big Bear region would be too far east to see well from here. It's a rare day you can get this view.

Thanks Steph- I don't know whether to call the photo cliched or iconic, but I think my years in LA are counting down, and I really wanted to get this shot while I can. Next year I need to try to get a shot of snow Baldy from Bolsa Chica wetlands.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    I don't know LA, but I know these are all beautiful shots. I love the first and the last! Best, Pam
  • chickendropchickendrop Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    That first shot is just stunning! Absolutely love the colors!