Options

#73 - Rush Choices, C&C

dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
edited April 5, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
* oops! C&C, Please

This was a hard one for me... these are few I managed to come up. Do any of them say "Rush!" to you?

1. Rainy Rush Hour
1238141484_qSsci-M.jpg

**Edited for contrast
1b.
1239460424_74wpj-M.jpg

2. Rushes (1)
1238141558_aFRRs-M.jpg

3. Rushes (2)
1238141172_CpQkE-M.jpg

4. Wait for Me!!
1238141592_AWsq8-M.jpg

5. Why Walk?
1238141509_ZMGpb-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,949 moderator
    edited April 3, 2011
    Such a hard challenge!

I was anticipating seeing more "rush hour" entries, so I am happy to see #1 in your mix but it needs a bit more contrast, I think. Would be nice to see the bridge support and car furthest right a bit darker.

I also like your shots of the rushes - both lovely in their own way. If you enter one of these, you might want to tweak the title a bit. Another Kind of Rush, Rushes Reflected, Reflections by the Rushes, or something. The concepts for # 4 and #5 are good but neither one quite says Rush to me. Cropping #4 might help put more emphasis on the action.

Good luck with this!
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    I agree - this one has been difficult. I really like Rushes 2 - especially the color & nice reflections. If you wanted to play, you could see what it would look like with the rushes being a little more diagonal in the shot, it might strengthen the composition, but it's really fine the way it is.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2011
    Thanks Sapphire and Lillian!

Rush Hour... My sister was driving and I knew whatever I got wasn't going to be much on such a dreary day, but I was in Dallas for a doctor appointment anyway, so worth a try. I will try working on the contrast some and see if I can get it looking any better.

#4 - Was taken from across a small lake and is already cropped. The darn things wouldn't come over by me to do it!

Rushes 1 and 2... probably my favorites, but I wasn't sure if they would be seen as "Rush". I'll see if I can play with the diagonal. I think this was a crop of a larger size.
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    I like the first of the RUSHES ...pix 2...
    I went on a road trip last week, from VA to PA...and that means THRU DC, twice, and on 95 for HOURS...and we never ONCE got stuck in a good traffic jam! I had my camera at the ready the whole time!
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2011
    Thanks!
    We got stuck in traffic once... but I didn't think of taking pictures until we were past it.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2011
    I added a rush hour edited for contrast to the original post. It's just not doing it for me, as much as I wish it was.

I tried working the rushes into a diagonal and that didn't work at all... so I think I am down to deciding between the 2 "Rushes" photos.
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    I too expected to see more "rush hour" photos - If I didn't have the swans I would without doubt have gone
    for that subject.

From the photos above I personally like 1b (with more contrast) - If you still have the chance in the last minute,
    maybe you can get a little more motion blur...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2011
    Just saw 1b and like the tweaks. It does a good job of conveying the mood of rush hour on a wet, gray day!
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2011
    Tatiana, Nope, no time to reshoot or to try and learn to PS it in. :) I tried for some blur that day and was surprised as dark and gloomy as it was I couldn't manage it without over exposing.

Sapphire, Thanks, maybe that is what it is... I think the blahness of the day is what bothers me about the picture, but I guess that works in its own way. Thanks for pointing it out that way.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2011
    Playing around and came up with this. I have already entered Rainy Rush hour... stick with it? or...

6. Color Rush
    1239906551_xDNcb-M.jpg

I really think this could be done better. It's a filter and I'm going to play with. I can see where it could work for certain things.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    That's a really cool filter - what is it? I really like the textures in it. I still like the rushes (#3), but kinda think this one has more pizzazz & is definitely a more unique shot with that processing. And it kinda grows on me too - the more I look at it, the more I like it! So if the choice is between this one & the rush hour traffic one, I'd definitely choose this one!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2011
    I'm not gonna be much help here as I'm not sure which I would enter if I were you. The rainy rush hour, #3 rushes, and color rush are all entries I would consider. I am looking at color rush on an iPhone screen mind you, but it looks like the processing and/or zooming while shooting say rush but the most colorful portion is relatively small. So I wonder about the title color rush. That said, it is a very cool shot so it might your best option. Good luck with making a decision!
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    I agree with Lillian. I think SimpsonBrothers nailed the rush hour concept.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2011
    Thanks for the responses! and yes, I think SimpsonBrothers did too. Amazing shot!

I actually did this with PhotoScape (a freebie program). I just noticed the "Zoom Blur" effect today. It was something I had thought of for this challenge, but that's something I can't do with my point and shoot. It was fun to play with.

As far as the name... It is an Indian Paintbrush, Laughing.gif nah...
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2011
    The color rush shot is very cool. Could use it with current title or look for some other titles. Rushing to embrace spring? Sounds like you would be happier with this one or the first one of the rushes, partly because of the great shot entered by Simpson Brothers and the gray day. (I was a passenger on a rainy drive from DC to Philly last week and decided not to take any photos even though the camera was close by).
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2011
    yep, I went ahead and entered the color rush one. Done! Laughing.gif
    It is different for me, so for good or bad, thats it... if nothing else my son's like it.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2011
    dnie wrote: »
    yep, I went ahead and entered the color rush one. Done! Laughing.gif
    It is different for me, so for good or bad, thats it... if nothing else my son's like it.

Must feel good to have that settled! I like to get input from my sons as well. The "pro" liked the dustpan shot!
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    Good choice, Donna! And thanks for pointing out that filter. I think I will play with it a bit.