Options

Syncing Lightroom

chasgrohchasgroh Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited April 7, 2011 in Finishing School
...is there a way to sync Lightroom between two computers or more?

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Well there’s Export as Catalog then Import as Catalog commands. Or just use some software utility to clone the data from one drive to the other (only updating newer files between the sync).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    The catalog sync works great. There are tutorials all over the web about it. Here's just one of them (see step 7). I just did it again since I got back from a trip with a bunch of photos on the laptop to transfer to the desktop with their edits.
  • Options
    chasgrohchasgroh Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    colourbox wrote: »
    The catalog sync works great. There are tutorials all over the web about it. Here's just one of them (see step 7). I just did it again since I got back from a trip with a bunch of photos on the laptop to transfer to the desktop with their edits.

...that's the ticket, this method is covered in Kelby's book, but I made the mistake of buying the Kindle version...took awhile to locate even knowing it was there! Thanks for the link...

cg
  • Options
    pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    When switching from an old computer to a new one (both mac book pros), can you simply copy the Lightroom folder folder along with the picture folders and point the new install of lightroom at them?
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    pmaxwell wrote: »
    When switching from an old computer to a new one (both mac book pros), can you simply copy the Lightroom folder folder along with the picture folders and point the new install of lightroom at them?

Yes but be aware, the user presets may not be there (depends on the preferences you set for where they should be saved). Save Presets with Catalog is what you’d want.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    gotcha. I don't have a lot of presets set up yet.

Thanks