Options

Wupatki - Wukoki

drdoakdrdoak Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited April 3, 2011 in Landscapes
I was out at Wupatki on the Colorado Plateau last summer and got around to processing some of the shots recently. I'd love to hear any C&C.

#1 is a stitched HDR pano consisting of 15, 3-shot brackets. Took a while to process ;). I'm most curious about C&C on this one.
#2 is two versions of a doorway in the ruins. Curious which version is more liked.
#3 was just for the heck of it, but sometimes b&w conversions come out interestingly.
#4 is another HDR, I think it was a 5 or 7 shot bracket.

1180921018_BmqDY-X2-11.jpg

2a & b
1180437612_KXPjb-L-8.jpg1180437285_LokVr-L-8.jpg

1180435378_ukfqC-L-8.jpg

1180438999_3CYH3-L-9.jpg

As always, thanks for the input!
...and the river flows through our souls...
www.chrislindbergphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    I'd like some more foreground interest in 1, the peak at the buildings makes me want to see more of them (and the watermark doesn't count as foreground, even though it is unfortunately large for pics of this scale), but those are great colors in the sky. I actually like a crop of just the right 1/4 or 1/5 of the scene. I like number 2, in either color or black and white, on my superbright laptop screen the details in the wall are nice. You've got a nice enhancement of the ephemeral green of the desert in the last one, but I feel like I'd like more of the original contrast in the scene.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    drdoakdrdoak Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    kolibri wrote: »
    I'd like some more foreground interest in 1, the peak at the buildings makes me want to see more of them (and the watermark doesn't count as foreground, even though it is unfortunately large for pics of this scale), but those are great colors in the sky. I actually like a crop of just the right 1/4 or 1/5 of the scene. I like number 2, in either color or black and white, on my superbright laptop screen the details in the wall are nice. You've got a nice enhancement of the ephemeral green of the desert in the last one, but I feel like I'd like more of the original contrast in the scene.

I usually make it out to Wukoki once a year, next time I'm thinking a bit more wide angle, a few steps to the left, and the tower as an anchor on the right. Good suggestion.

You're thinking #4 is a little too contrasty for its own good?

Yeah, I'm still messing with the watermarks. The landscape format does a bit of exaggerating too.
    ...and the river flows through our souls...
    www.chrislindbergphotography.com
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    Nice job with these Chris thumb.gif
    I think you did very well with the 1st - clean, natural HDR and the pano looks nice. Great light in that right 1/3rd!
    2nd shot doesn't quite work for me - mostly because I want to know what's through the door...
    3rd is very cool...who doesn't love a good sun ray or two?
    4th - again, nice clean HDR work. Really brings out the texture in the rocks which works well here balanced nicely against the setting light