Sunset on Lough Melvin.

oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited April 4, 2011 in Landscapes
Hi all
Just messing around with the 5dmk2 and 50mm 1.8 ll lens. Done some time lapse at his location and then took this photograph. I know its far from perfect but i just couldnt throw it away. For some reason after i added the logo in cs5 i saved this for the web and it threw the sharpness through the roof as regards the tree.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oakfield_photography/5586207553/in/photostream/

Regards
Patrick.:D

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Wow! I love that shot and the fringe under the cloud. Nice catch!
  • oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Glad you like this shot but I would love to know what i done wrong that over sharpened the tree in this photo.
    Basically i took a raw photo and edited it for colours, then i saved it in the smallest setting from raw to jpeg. Then i opened it in cs5 to put the black frame on it. After that i save it for web and devices and i dont know where i went wrong. Can somone here help me please?

Regards
    Patrick :D
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    I'm not seeing the over-sharpening, but I can tell you that you shouldn't save as a jpeg (compressed file) until you're done editing. Until then, save it as an uncompressed tiff and bounce that back and forth between applications.

Nice shot.
  • oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    I'm not seeing the over-sharpening, but I can tell you that you shouldn't save as a jpeg (compressed file) until you're done editing. Until then, save it as an uncompressed tiff and bounce that back and forth between applications.

Nice shot.

Thanks for your reply.
    does this mean that i should save my raw files as tiffs after adjustments?
    This would concern me as i am wary of uploading tiffs to flickr regards the amount of information in each photograph as regards people copying them and downloading them for profitable gain.

Mabey you mean to save the end product as a very small tiff that retains all the details of the shot?
    Not great at this but mabey you can help me please.
    Regards
    Patrick:D
    edited April 4, 2011
    I save all of my raw files as tiffs. After I have made all of my adjustments, I then make a jpg copy of the finished tiff file for uploading. Then if you ever decide to go back and edit some more, you can edit the tiff.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    I was under the impression that Flickr also applies a fair amount of sharpening to all of their display copies. I thought I read that somewhere, but you may want to check that, since it could be causing all of that unexpected oversharpening that you see.
    edited April 4, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    I save all of my raw files as tiffs. After I have made all of my adjustments, I then make a jpg copy of the finished tiff file for uploading. Then if you ever decide to go back and edit some more, you can edit the tiff.

Seems like a good idea but you must have an inordinarte amount of hardrive space to incorporate both the raw and tiff files at the same time. Mabey i am wrong here ( correct me please if i am)
    I usually edit in raw and then save as a jpeg. I sent the jpeg into a file for uploading and delete it afterwards as i have the original raw file with my settings for future use.

I think flicker does an extra bit of sharpening of your uploaded images. Dont quote me please.
    All i wanted to know was if i did decide to edit my photo in cs5 does save for web and devices actually sharpen the image too and leave the image big enough for someone to print off at home? I am not paronoid here but i was warned off uploading images over 800 pixels in size because some of my mates had local newspapers steal them and print givine the excuse that the forum was public and they are there to share. Ah well i dont want to go down that road again so if anyone can help please.

Regards
    Patrick:D
    edited April 4, 2011
    Storage is cheap. A 1 TB external drive is $60.

I use Lightroom to edit my images. LR uses a "catalog" file to store all of the changes I make to RAW files. Although that catalog file is backed up, if for some reason I ever lost it, I would lose all of my processing along with it. Having an uncompressed tiff file of each image helps me sleep at night. I like to know that I have the ability to revisit an uncompressed version of my images, whenever I want, for whatever reason.

Drive A has RAW, tiff and LR catalog file.

Drive B (external) has RAW, tiff and LR catalog backup.

Web has all of my jpegs.

Not a perfect system, but so far, so good.