"The Hills Are Alive" and more!

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited April 4, 2011 in People
Sharing a few images from last week. My mind has been a million miles away, but still managed to have a few successful shoots this week. I appreciate the well wishes that have poured in from friends and aquaintances here. We are still awaiting a diagnosis and appreciate the support. More than words can express really.

1- I got a recall from the Drama teacher where my kids went to high school. I shot their "Sound of Music" dress rehearsal as a favor to her for being so great to my kid when she was in school there. Super challenging lighting since it was the first run through for the kids operating the stage lights. It was all over the map. In the end, I used a 580EX at stage left on a 13.5 foot stand, and another sat on a stand mounted speaker at stage right. I set them at a 4:1 ratio and fired them with the STE2. It worked a treat. No gels. Gels are pointless here. The stagelight is every color of the rainbow and changes without notice.:rofl

1238661008_JKPEJ-XL-1.jpg

2- Another image from last Sundays shoot.

1231205059_ivKio-XL-1.jpg

3- This was from Thursday afternoon. An unretouched proof for the parents.
1238668858_KjADK-XL-1.jpg

4- And another. Theres a funny story and a broken 580EX behind this shot. Does anyone have a link to the place to buy replacement shoe foot for 580EX?
1238662818_H6iCH-XL-1.jpg

Comments

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    1-Sound of Music looks fun! Nice flash work.
    2-Gorgeous!!
    3-Love the setting, light, colors.
    4-Also love the setting, processing, colors, the way his t-shirt mimics the graffiti going on.

What's your favorite lens these days?
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    Elaine wrote: »
    1-Sound of Music looks fun! Nice flash work.
    2-Gorgeous!!
    3-Love the setting, light, colors.
    4-Also love the setting, processing, colors, the way his t-shirt mimics the graffiti going on.

What's your favorite lens these days?

Thanks Elaine.

Favorite lens eh?

The 70-200 F2.8IS is my most used glass. It was used in the first and last image here. The other two were shot with the 17-55 F2.8IS. There is a time and place for any tool, but the compression and bokeh ...the extreme DOF I can get when I use the 70-200 at longer focal lengths and wider apertures makes it my favorite. Just look at that focus fall off in that last image. THATS what I like to see!mwink.gif

I use it way more often than I ever imagined I would.deal.gif

Heres a few more from last Sunday...
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=193757
  • B JoynerB Joyner Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    Really like # 3 the lighting and composition are right on in my eyes. #2 is amazing also those eyes are great and the shallow dof is wonderful.
    Nice work.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Agree with the others - 2 is beyond amazing. Garage? I rest my case with a jealous look south...

I adore that focus falloff in 3 as well, although not sure I could face lugging that zoom around. The 135 can do similar, thankfully... at about 1/4 the weight!!!

As I said in the other thread, I'm amazed they let you use flash for the show .... even though it sure does make for nicer photos in that situation :D
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Flash in the theater??? You lucky dog.

#2 FTW!
    edited April 4, 2011
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Flash in the theater??? You lucky dog.

#2 FTW!

Much of the dress rehearsal was done with the only light being what was spilling out of the orchestra pit. Again...the kids who were to work the lights were practicing for the first time. It was go...or go home for me.ne_nau.gif

Either use a flash or come back another day.:D

Nun Sense...last year was all existing lightthumb.gif
    edited April 4, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Agree with the others - 2 is beyond amazing. Garage? I rest my case with a jealous look south...

No garage. Taken on location in a similarly lit overhang though. Natural light.

I adore that focus falloff in 3 as well, although not sure I could face lugging that zoom around. The 135 can do similar, thankfully... at about 1/4 the weight!!!

#3 was a 17-55...I think.

As I said in the other thread, I'm amazed they let you use flash for the show .... even though it sure does make for nicer photos in that situation :D
    She wanted pics...there was no light....I rolled my own.eek7.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Sorry - meant #4 for focus falloff.... rolleyes1.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Have to echo the comments about 2... De-lish... I have tried that shot many times with not near as good of success as you ALWAYS (always) get. You need to share your settings. Very trademark Jeffreaux2.

And do share your funny story about your 580EX....ear.gif
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Jeff,

#2 is very nice, but #3 is my favorite! Really nice comp thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited April 4, 2011
    Have to echo the comments about 2... De-lish... I have tried that shot many times with not near as good of success as you ALWAYS (always) get. You need to share your settings. Very trademark Jeffreaux2.

And do share your funny story about your 580EX....ear.gif

We had really just begun shooting. That location is an abandoned wharf out on the Mississippi River downtown. Its a bit sketchy. Theres always clothes and sleeping bags in the warehouse. Im careful as heck if working with females but figured it safe with myself...the guy and his dad. There was another photographer and three models(20 somethin females) shooting there as well. It appeared they were shooting clothing ads. I had just trained the dad on holding the light stand even if the wind werent blowing. We had even discussed the cost of the stand, umbrella, mount, and of course the flash....and it was my favorite flash too....a 1st gen 580EX with the quick switching. Uhg.

Dad had gone to the car to get HIS camera a P&S....and returned to hold the flash. I wasnt firing the flash, but it was on the stand...he was holding it....umbrella open...when I pointed out that I was shocked that the girls were changing clothes ....right behind me.....naked as you please. No one else had noticed. Distracted dad let go of the stand and....the foot snapped off when it hit the ground.rolleyes1.gif I had to use my newer less favorite flash for the shoot.

The girls had dressed by the time I said anything. Dad saw nothin...son...probably saw EVERYTHING.eek7.gif

Yowzer!