Still looking for advice

B JoynerB Joyner Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited April 3, 2011 in People
Here is another one that my daughter kindly posed for. Just looking for some CC and maybe a little advice on how to improve. Thanks!
1238831335_L26gm-XL.jpg

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    I see three things that can be worked on to improve.

1st- No more tilting. Try shooting and keeping the camera level with the horizon. A very slight tilt can sometimes be use to add energy to an image, but keeping things straight will (more often than not) serve best for portrait work. In any event, the tilt here is way...way...too much.

2nd- Be cateful of over working the skin and letting it look plastic. It looks like the work here has had an effect on eye sharpness as well. Also watch skin tones. Too red or magenta is a no no. My bet is that this image would print much redder than you imagine. Ive done no measuring, but plainly see red creeping in on this calibrated monitor.

3rd- Ease up on the flash power. It's great that you are using fill flash to brighten the eyes, but its power has knocked out all those shaping shadows from the natural light. A little fill goes a long way. Too little will more often than not look better than too much. Shoe mounted flash is notorious for this....but can be used to an advantage with less power.

Shes a great looking kid. Bet you are proud!thumb.gif
  • B JoynerB Joyner Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    Thanks for the great advice Jeff. I think I need to get my monitor calibrated. I am always disappointed with the prints compared to what I thought they looked like on the screen. Any suggestions on a good method for calibrating.
    About the tilt. She is actually laying on a support beam under an old wooden bridge. I shot it straight on. I know what you mean about the tilt though. I rarely ever crop my photos with a tilt.
    Thanks again I will keep working at it.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    B Joyner wrote: »
    Thanks for the great advice Jeff. I think I need to get my monitor calibrated. I am always disappointed with the prints compared to what I thought they looked like on the screen. Any suggestions on a good method for calibrating.
    About the tilt. She is actually laying on a support beam under an old wooden bridge. I shot it straight on. I know what you mean about the tilt though. I rarely ever crop my photos with a tilt.
    Thanks again I will keep working at it.

You need a hardware calibration device. I use a "Huey Pro" that I bought several years ago, but there are many on the market and some are way better than what I use. Advice on the best device for your needs can be had in the "Digital Darkroom" section of Dgrin. Adjusting exposure or color on an uncalibrated monitor...in my opinion...is a bit of a crap shoot.deal.gif

As for the tilt. Even if that was shot straight on it is a very awkward angle for a portrait pose. Maybe if it were shot from farther back where the beams were part of the image it would work. This tight though....yikes....I get dizzy looking.mwink.gif

Helpful advice I hope....not trying to pick on you.thumb.gif
  • B JoynerB Joyner Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    Jeff

I didn't take it as picking on me at all. I greatly appreciate all your comments and like I said (I'll keep working on it)

Thanks again !