Mother & Son shoot today - C&C

kaughtphotographykaughtphotography Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited April 4, 2011 in People
C & C please!

The mother is a good friend of mine and her little boy was being a little uncooperative during our afternoon together but I think we got a couple good moments. I am using a Nikon D3000 and the stock 18-55mm lens with all natural lighting (reflectors and umbrellas are coming in this week!). Let me know what ya think!

1-
DSC_0320.jpg

2-
DSC_0109-Version2.jpg

3-
DSC_0191.jpg

4 -
DSC_0079.jpg

5 -
DSC_0009.jpg

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Perhaps it's the compression of uploading but most of these are a bit soft in focus.
    Eyes need to be tack sharp for this type of work.....
    I like #1 best :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    I would suggest that you find a way to contrast the subject relative to the background. When you have everything exposed at the same level, then you have ugh lighting...and a snapshot...as in number one. Nice image...could be a little sharper...emotional capture...just not all that it could be.

Number two...over processed...not flattering to the child.

Number three...over exposed and washed out. It looks like a current fad that a lot of photographers are using today, but if clients want that sort of image...learn how to do it. Me, I'm not a big fan. If you are, I'm not knocking the processing...but in my opinion we are spending a lot of time trying to make very expensive SLR's take very crummy pictures. The resulting skin tones and softness tend to look like you've used a cheap point and shoot.

Number four: Nice image...depth of field is too shallow...child is very soft and mother is a also too soft. Could use some increase in contrast...as could your others...just experiment.

Number five: Image is too soft...and again...not to flattering. Watch your backgrounds...lots of distracting lines running through his head.

Suggestions: Spot focus on lead eye...adjust your depth of field so that you have both eyes in focus...and, unless intentional, others in the photo also in focus. You can put the BG out of focus in Photoshop if you need to.

Make sure your shutter speed is fast enough to capture the image...this compensates for their movement and camera shake...which also appears in photos as, OOF, or soft images.

I hope this helps...keep shooting...and don't take my comments as a poison pill. These are just my suggestions to give you some ideas on how you might improve your next shoot.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Your white balance is all over the place. #1 & #4 look good. #3 is way blue, and #5, oh dear, a little martian.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.