Individual print orders gathered to one shipped order. Can it be done?

R.LeonardoR.Leonardo Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
edited May 18, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Just looking for clarification here.

As an event photographer, I often work for clients that represent either a public or private group event. The client obtains there needs and digitals/prints. However, I then have people who want prints but typically just a few each.

At this point I am offer the digital downloads, or the individuals contact the groups coordinator (the one that hired me), but I would like to encourage people to by a proper quality print; rather than get the digital and go to Wal-Mart or other hack printers here in town or bother the paying client (whom have said it would be nice if I could do).

If I were to 1) set the proof for prints to 7 days then, 2) having the personal delivery option 'turned on' for the gallery with the event photos so as to collect the orders to one.

That would give a group of people 7 days to get orders in and they ship to me. I can then provide these prints to either the client for distribution, or in some case personal deliver.
Would that make sense/work for a process to achieve my goal or am I missing something obvious!
R. Leonardo
www.RobArtPhoto.com
Whether he is an artist or not, the photographer is a joyous sensualist, for the simple reason that the eye traffics in feelings, not in thoughts. -Walker Evans

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    This would work. Each clients order would arrive at your location separately, shipping paid by client. It is then up to you to get the prints to the customers. If getting them to the event coordinator for further distribution works, then
    this would be a suitable option.

ann
    R.Leonardo wrote: »
    Just looking for clarification here.

As an event photographer, I often work for clients that represent either a public or private group event. The client obtains there needs and digitals/prints. However, I then have people who want prints but typically just a few each.

At this point I am offer the digital downloads, or the individuals contact the groups coordinator (the one that hired me), but I would like to encourage people to by a proper quality print; rather than get the digital and go to Wal-Mart or other hack printers here in town or bother the paying client (whom have said it would be nice if I could do).

If I were to 1) set the proof for prints to 7 days then, 2) having the personal delivery option 'turned on' for the gallery with the event photos so as to collect the orders to one.

That would give a group of people 7 days to get orders in and they ship to me. I can then provide these prints to either the client for distribution, or in some case personal deliver.
    Would that make sense/work for a process to achieve my goal or am I missing something obvious!
  • R.LeonardoR.Leonardo Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    Thanks.
    R. Leonardo
    www.RobArtPhoto.com
    Whether he is an artist or not, the photographer is a joyous sensualist, for the simple reason that the eye traffics in feelings, not in thoughts. -Walker Evans
  • YuOrYuOr Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    Ann McRae wrote: »
    This would work. Each clients order would arrive at your location separately, shipping paid by client. It is then up to you to get the prints to the customers. If getting them to the event coordinator for further distribution works, then
    this would be a suitable option.

ann

Hi! I have a very similar question, i hope it's ok i don't open a new thread but ask here. I am going to do a photoshoot for a school. I will be only doing group photos, but still it's ten classes of 20 kids each... So each parent will order max of 2-3 photos. I really don't want each parent to pay for shipping. So i was thinking that maybe its possible that all parents go to my website and place orders (i will set a time frame, like a week or so) and pay for prints only, not shipping. When all orders are in, i will place an order for the whole bunch, paying for shipping etc....So parents pay me and then i pay photolab...I get the photos and bring them to school... Does it make sense and is it possible?
    Thanks!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    YuOr wrote: »
    Hi! I have a very similar question, i hope it's ok i don't open a new thread but ask here. I am going to do a photoshoot for a school. I will be only doing group photos, but still it's ten classes of 20 kids each... So each parent will order max of 2-3 photos. I really don't want each parent to pay for shipping. So i was thinking that maybe its possible that all parents go to my website and place orders (i will set a time frame, like a week or so) and pay for prints only, not shipping. When all orders are in, i will place an order for the whole bunch, paying for shipping etc....So parents pay me and then i pay photolab...I get the photos and bring them to school... Does it make sense and is it possible?
    Thanks!

The only way to do this, I'm sorry, is that you collect the info, and you order the photos in one batch. I wish I had a different, better answer for you!
    edited May 9, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    The only way to do this, I'm sorry, is that you collect the info, and you order the photos in one batch. I wish I had a different, better answer for you!

That's what i thought :( Thank you for your prompt answer!
  • R.LeonardoR.Leonardo Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    The way is to have each client review (with a deadline) the gallery or galleries and email you the photo number(s) or name(s). You then place the order an bill out amounts owing after the fact. A bit more extra work but without a sort of "collect to cart and send to photographer" option, this is the only way presently.
    All that said... if you want less work involved, just absorb the shipping costs with a print order coupon or discount somewhere in one of your line items. Shipping is not that much compared to the reduced & streamlined workload!
    R. Leonardo
    www.RobArtPhoto.com
    edited May 18, 2011
    R.Leonardo wrote: »
    The way is to have each client review (with a deadline) the gallery or galleries and email you the photo number(s) or name(s). You then place the order an bill out amounts owing after the fact. A bit more extra work but without a sort of "collect to cart and send to photographer" option, this is the only way presently.
    All that said... if you want less work involved, just absorb the shipping costs with a print order coupon or discount somewhere in one of your line items. Shipping is not that much compared to the reduced & streamlined workload!

thank you!
    i think i might print out an order form...oh not :) not sure yet
  • MPWMPW Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Andy Just thinking....could all parents register to pick favorites. Then as site owner you would order the entire batch and have them delivered to your own address. Perhaps I am misinterpreting the question. -Mike

Edit
    Actually just tried it and seemed to work. Would be easy on a few photos, but overwhelming and challenging to keep track of if you had many customers with many different photos.

I plan on doing this for a dance company in the fall. Will take group photos and portraits, print group photos, calendars, and edited portrait(name,team, year) buttons for each dancer.