Off, off Broadway - WOO

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited April 4, 2011 in People
The latest production of The Wizard of Oz took place here in Florida this past weekend. Truly off Broadway, but the middle schoolers did a great job.

Not in Kansas anymore.
1237675376_TQ4Nb-L.jpg

Crabapples.
1237676050_6WtjW-L.jpg

Cowardly lion with braces.
1237678273_cRGav-L.jpg

Listening to that terrifying wizard.
1237682116_GbWFz-L.jpg

That wizard looks oddly familiar.
1237684774_8bzEu-L.jpg

The musical director up on stage for a bow.
1237668001_SoSy7-L.jpg
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Fun images.thumb.gif

What did you do to light them?

Best lookin wizard Ive ever seen.:D
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    jeffreaux2 wrote: »
    Fun images.thumb.gif

What did you do to light them?

Best lookin wizard Ive ever seen.:D

Thanks, Jeff.

This may be the worst lit room I've ever had the displeasure of shooting in. A combination of fluorescent and incandascent bulbs in the ceiling which is augmented by dim, yellow spots. Unfortunately, our school holds all of it's major functions in this room.:cry Three years ago I swore to my wife that I would never attempt to take another photo in this room!

This is one situation where I have to thank my gear. No flash is allowed in these productions. I just set my cameral to auto ISO and let it drift to where it needs to be. Most of these shots are at ISO 6400 and there is very little noise. I love my D700.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Mitchell, STORY OF MY LIFE (and y'all wonder why I covet the FF cameras with their useable 3200 and 6400?! rolleyes1.gif Srsly every fibre of my being aches for a d700/5dII at times like that) Jeff, I'm amazed that you were allowed to use flash for the show shots you just did - it's usually verboten (and while as a photographer I'd love some more light, as a performer, I must admit I'm always glad that it's usually banned -i t's super distracting from the stage to see flashes popping off)

These are adorable, Mitchell. One of the problems with kids' shows is also that the young'un's have an uncanny knack for standing JUST outside the (usually limited) light they've been given. I think the first job of school directors should be to teach kids to "find their light" (tricks of the trade: if you look up and it's in your eyes, you're in it. If you can feel the warmth, you're in it. If you look at the floor and your feet are black whilte the spot next to you is white/blue/purple/green/orange/choose colour of choice, you're in it.... rolleyes1.gif) I struggled with this for Mini D's last show - drove me nuts!!

The colour looks off on this monitor at work (rather yellow/green), but it's a fairly rubbish monitor, so if it's right at your end and/or by the numbers, don't worry about it. That said, for theatre stuff - which may or may not have been balanced by the lighting designer (assuming there was one, and it wasn't just a case of using what was there), I usually just try to make one mid-tone, neutral skin tone in the shot look right and let the rest go to what they may have been under the lights; usually works pretty well.

Hope they enjoyed doing the show - looks like they were having fun!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    The colour looks off on this monitor at work (rather yellow/green), but it's a fairly rubbish monitor, so if it's right at your end and/or by the numbers, don't worry about it. That said, for theatre stuff - which may or may not have been balanced by the lighting designer (assuming there was one, and it wasn't just a case of using what was there), I usually just try to make one mid-tone, neutral skin tone in the shot look right and let the rest go to what they may have been under the lights; usually works pretty well.

Hope they enjoyed doing the show - looks like they were having fun!

The color is off on these. I just couldn't take it anymore.:cry Between the wide variety of nationalities and skin tones of the actors coupled wth the stage makeup and constantly changing lighting, I was losing my mind.

I had to vent. I feel much better now. :D
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Vent away... (and check your PMs :)
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Mitchell wrote: »
    The color is off on these. I just couldn't take it anymore.:cry Between the wide variety of nationalities and skin tones of the actors coupled wth the stage makeup and constantly changing lighting, I was losing my mind.

I had to vent. I feel much better now. :D

My current post used flash, but I have always used existing light before. What you see in WB is common. Best bet is to do a batch adjustment. Set WB on one photo...and then apply it to all of them. Then wash your hands of it!thumb.gif