Exacutive Portrait

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited April 8, 2011 in People
I'm generally very happy with the results of this session. The client HATES to have her photo taken, and is genuinely convinced that it is not possible to get a pleasing image of her. She apologized before we started for what she was certain would be disappointing results. I have to say, given her obvious attractiveness, I was surprised and frustrated for a while at how unappealing were the images I was seeing on the back of the camera, but we kept at it and I'm guessing she'll be pleasantly surprised. Now . . . question. Which of these two would you think would be a better "official" portrait for a female executive in a sales oriented position. Her industry is not particularly male-dominated.

1239502053_btGq8-XL.jpg

1239502522_Un9CJ-XL.jpg
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Yes, I know . . .
    WTF is an "Exacutive Protrait?" :bash
    John :
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    My personal tastes lead me to choose the second image.

She looks super relaxed and comfortable in her skin there. Friendly.

In the first image she appears not to be quite settled in and ready....looks a tad surprised or caught off guard.

Be careful not to work the skin so much that it loses texture. I think the second image held up better than the first in this regard.

There is a hotspot on her forhead in #2 that can be fixed with some low opacity patching. A simple fix that would be icing on this near perfect cake.

Odd though, she appears photogenic enough to me.ne_nau.gif But. Some folks are just extremely uncomfortable in front of a camera. Seeing the photos youve posted Id have never guessed it.

Good job!thumb.gif
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Definitely 1. She looks great. She is pretty and it looks official.
    Nit pick....maybe clone the lines out of her lower lip...easy to smooth them out..

Other than that I wouldn't touch a thing.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    WTF is an "Exacutive Protrait?" :bash

According to wikipedia....

The "exacutive protrait" is an image that portrays "pro" traits in an exacting and cumulative manner. The famed J.W.Smith known the world over as "Icebear" broke new ground when he posted the very first image of this type in the Dgrin forum on 4-4-11.

Photography will never be the same!mwink.gif
    edited April 4, 2011
    jeffreaux2 wrote: »

The "exacutive protrait" is an image that portrays "pro" traits in an exacting and cumulative manner. The famed J.W.Smith known the world over as "Icebear" broke new ground when he posted the very first image of this type in the Dgrin forum on 4-4-11.

haha! good one!
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011

rolleyes1.gifrofl

I like them both but prefer the 2nd. she doesn't seem unphotogenic to me? so looks like you did your job well!
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    #2. I don't get the feeling she's "trying to look professional" in that one, but that she DOES. Also warmer and friendlier which, for sales, I think is important (well for me, at any rate -t he minute somebody looks like a hard sell and/or obviously "corporate" in that 1980s CEO way I am seriously turned off and look elsewhere....)

I'd probably crop juusssstt into the hair at the top of her head - because her shirt spans the entire bottom edge, it seems odd to me to have airspace at the top. Then again, I'm "tight crop" girl (that sounds all wrong - you know what I mean!! rolleyes1.gif) so YMMV.

Exacutive indeed. Kinda like executive, only with less BS :D
    edited April 4, 2011
    "Tight-crop girl" Ooooh . . . "bondage opera!" Puts a whole new spin on "Abduction From the Seraglio"
    John :
    edited April 4, 2011
    You just HAD to go there, huh?!?!?! rolleyes1.gif

Dude, do you have any idea how many productions in Germany have taken that approach?!?? (it seldom works, fwiw - opera can take only just so much added titillation before it completely collapses under the lunacy.... :lol)
    edited April 4, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Definitely 1. She looks great. She is pretty and it looks official.
    Nit pick....maybe clone the lines out of her lower lip...easy to smooth them out..

Other than that I wouldn't touch a thing.

Thanks Mike. Good eye on the lips. I'll do that, and maybe add a little dark red to the lower also.
    John :
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    I really like these! I'd like to see the lip lines if you choose to clone those, because I am not sure that'd help things. She has lines, but they are well in hand and overall I think well balanced. Nice work!
    tom wise
    edited April 4, 2011
    Be careful not to work the skin so much that it loses texture. I think the second image held up better than the first in this regard.

There is a hotspot on her forhead in #2 that can be fixed with some low opacity patching. A simple fix that would be icing on this near perfect cake.

Odd though, she appears photogenic enough to me.ne_nau.gif But. Some folks are just extremely uncomfortable in front of a camera. Seeing the photos youve posted Id have never guessed it.

Good job!thumb.gif

Hey Jeff. Thank you for your critique. I actually did very little skin smoothing. She did her own makeup. I'll definitely do the patch thing on her forehead. That'll work much better than some negative brightness brush or whatever.

"Near perfect?!?" Wow. I'm gonna frame that. You and Mike both know a thing or two about photographing women, so between your "near perfect" and his "wouldn't touch a thing" I'm feeling pretty competent right now.
    John :
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    I like #1 th best..the only issue I have with both is the shoulders..it looks like her right arms is raised and the shoulders are TOO uneven. Otherwiss..gooood stuff
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited April 4, 2011
    Thanks Mike. Good eye on the lips. I'll do that, and maybe add a little dark red to the lower also.

I wouldn't darken the lip, when it looks right don't mess with it :).

For a business portrait, the raised chin in 1 says confidence, formal. The lowered chin in two say I want you to think I am cute, informal.
    Others certainly look at it differently...that is my take.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    John...hands down I think the second one is a great pose for her....has she seen these yet?
    I had a tough costumer at a recent shoot and she was pleasantly surprised at the results.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    I likes um both.....good job!

Sam
    edited April 4, 2011
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    John...hands down I think the second one is a great pose for her....has she seen these yet?
    I had a tough costumer at a recent shoot and she was pleasantly surprised at the results.

Rey, I've sent her a B&W proof gallery of 18. Haven't heard back from her yet (less than 24 hrs.) Heck, she might not go with either of these. In that case I'll have had touch-up practice.
    John :
    edited April 4, 2011
    Thanks Sam. Me too. It's what i calls a conundrum. Guess who gets to solve it mwink.gif. I don't think I can lose. She sure can't (IMO.)
    John :
    edited April 4, 2011
    My bet is she will pick the last one you put in the group, the one you almost deleted but threw it in there anyway.

Don't be to surprised if she comes back and says she does not like any of them....I have shot a few ladies that said they could not take a good picture.
    Some people are not able to see themselves realistically.....have you seen the American Idol tryouts :).

You did your job well....that is all you can do.
    edited April 4, 2011
    John - is that one of the Botero backgrounds, and if so which one is it? I seem to be collecting redheads at the moment (have another one in two weeks) and I think a creamy brown/beige could look really good....
    edited April 4, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    For a business portrait, the raised chin in 1 says confidence, formal. The lowered chin in two say I want you to think I am cute, informal.

That's my feeling too Mike. But it looks like you and I are in the minority. OTOH, I don't think the "more feminine" pose goes quite so far as "ingenue" which would definitely be a deal killer.

I'm really looking forward to her choice from the proof set.
    John :
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    I like them both. #2 seems friendlier and more like "Sales". #1 seems more "Executive". I hope she is pleased with them, because I think you did very well for her.
    edited April 4, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    I like #1 th best..the only issue I have with both is the shoulders..it looks like her right arms is raised and the shoulders are TOO uneven. Otherwiss..gooood stuff

Thanks Daniel. I appreciate your input. In this case however I disagree on the shoulders. I like it this way. I think it lends some power to the pose. Guess it's a matter of degree, since you capitalized "TOO." Her right arm was raised. It was resting on the back of a chair. In a perfect world, the chair back would have been a little lower, but I didn't want to boost her up with a cushion or "phone book." Trying just to keep things loose.
    John :
    edited April 4, 2011
    met wrote: »
    I like them both. #2 seems friendlier and more like "Sales". #1 seems more "Executive". I hope she is pleased with them, because I think you did very well for her.
    Thanks Molly. I agree with your differentiation, and appreciate your compliment.
    John :
    edited April 4, 2011
    That's my feeling too Mike. But it looks like you and I are in the minority. OTOH, I don't think the "more feminine" pose goes quite so far as "ingenue" which would definitely be a deal killer.

I'm really looking forward to her choice from the proof set.

Make sure you come back and let us know....I am curious now. I am The Worst at guessing which photo will be a clients favorite headscratch.gif
    edited April 4, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    John - is that one of the Botero backgrounds, and if so which one is it? I seem to be collecting redheads at the moment (have another one in two weeks) and I think a creamy brown/beige could look really good....
    #029. Love it. I had her about six feet in front of it, and at f2.8 it just went creamy, didn't it.
    John :
    edited April 4, 2011
    lilmomma wrote: »
    I like them both but prefer the 2nd. she doesn't seem unphotogenic to me? so looks like you did your job well!
    Thank you ma'am. If I posted the "culls" you wouldn't believe it. And no, I'm not going to. :D
    John :
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    John,

I like these, they are nice. I'd think the second one (more relaxed) would be best for a sales position. The first one would be my choice for a more rigid look, as you can see more tension around her eyes and mouth.
    Randy
  • PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    #2. she looks nervous in #1
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |