edited April 11, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
"Nurture" by Michael Hosaluk.

These objects are roughly 4" long...

Nurturewebsize.jpg

Cheers, Don

Comments

• jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Superb control on color latitude and shading, Don. This must be a studio shot if I am not mistaken. Stellar! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    I like this one. What are those things if you don't mind me asking :D
  • Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    Superb control on color latitude and shading, Don. This must be a studio shot if I am not mistaken. Stellar! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Thank you very much.

Yes, they were shot in my woodshop/studio. Two B1600's with 2' x 3' softboxes bounced off the ceiling, black seamless paper.
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I like this one. What are those things if you don't mind me asking :D

Thank you. Well, they are sculptures ne_nau.gif

Interactive Art if you will. Each piece is seperate and can be arranged to your liking..

Cheers, Don
    edited April 5, 2011
    Don Kondra wrote: »
    Interactive Art if you will. Each piece is seperate and can be arranged to your liking..

Cheers, Don

Interactive art ... I like that terminology :D
    edited April 10, 2011
    It actually works Mary mwink.gif

I had company the other evening and had them sitting on a stool. The pieces, not the company :)

Both of my guests couldn't help but handle them and rearrange them.

First there is the pleasant surprise of their weight, they're not exactly heavy but they are cast bronze and heavier than they appear.

Then their shape invites touching, there is just something about the feel of smooth curved pieces of metal..

I was very pleased with my low key image but reshot the pieces for a more traditional product image for use by a gallery.

Glasswhitefullweb.jpg

The first image was shot with two B1600's/softboxes bounced of my 10' ceiling.

For the above shot I moved a smaller strobe/softbox as close as I could to the objects and placed them on a piece of smoked glass over white foamcore.

GlasssetupMedium.jpg

Cheers, Don
    edited April 11, 2011
    Thank you for including your set up. Smoked glass .. never would of thought about using that over foam core. I'm going to have to try this out. I don't have the lighting system you have, but I'll work on something for that.

I can see why people would pick them up and move them around. They look so interesting and inviting to touch. Certainly little things that intrigue me.

Your photo and objects has my mind running with ideas :D
    edited April 11, 2011
    You are welcome Mary,

I was never quite satisfied with the texture of seamless paper for smaller objects. Still need to try the glass on paper to "see" the difference...

The smoked glass just seemed to be the "right" background, I did shoot with clear and found the image to be a bit stark.

Clearglasswhitefoamcorewebsize.jpg

FYI the back softbox is just there to block reflections.

Clearglasssetupweb.jpg

And slate seemed a bit busy :)

To be fair, the slate should have been cleaned and recoated...

SlateMedium.jpg

Cheers, Don
    edited April 11, 2011
    The clear was stark and cold to me. Your pick of the smoked glass was a good choice. I did like the slate tho, but after seeing the smoked glass ... well that was the winner :D

After looking at your set up again I can see how big those things are you photographed. Bigger then I had imaged.

Oh .. nice workshop thumb.gifBrought back memories of my Dad doing his wood working.
  • clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    HMMM. I think this actually very interesting. I can see how people would want to mess with them. I want to reach out and touch them just sitting here looking at them!