edited April 5, 2011 in People
5589927525_56cfb507a7_z.jpg

5589927727_b84b3334ca_z.jpg

I shot the images on AV Mode 85mm (1.2) using F2.5 - 1/400 Ex. Compen -2/3

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    These are sweet.
    I don't mean this as criticism. I'm just curious. What do you think is gained with the tilted framing?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Well...funny you should ask that question. My mentor who is a master photographer rates my images...he's wonderful...absolutely wonderful man and a heck of a photographer. He says "Change it up a bit...add some tilts to your images". I don't do tilts...not really my style...so I asked him "Does this work?"...and he said..."Yep...that is working".

All critiques are always welcomed!

ETA: Trust me I am not thinned skinned so I didn't take it as criticism. Thanks for the comment...always appreciated.
  • Marcin WuuMarcin Wuu Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    After reading Icebear's comment - for me it looks like she's on a boat of some kind :) on the first image she slid down all the way to the railing when the boat tilted... on the second one she's desperately holding on to a dog, (which is bolted to the bench). Funny, but in a cute way :)
    I'm a lazy portraitist. I only shoot beautiful women.
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    I have to agree that the tilting is not working for me. I can understand the need to "change it a bit" from a simple portrait, kid sat on thirds, sort of thing, but here she looks like she's sliding off! Maybe in an action type shot, the tilt would have better effect.

That said, I love these shots...I can rarely get the colour like this...somehow vibrant, yet subdued. I don't know how to describe it. Lovely girl, lovely shots. :)
    edited April 5, 2011
    Thanks ya'll. She is a beauty of a child. So easy to photograph. I truly appreciate all the comments. thumb.gif
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    I love tilting in photos, but not with these. The second shot is just too tilted. As others have said, it looks like she is sliding down the bench. I suspect my eye prefers to see a known object like a bench to be squarely mounted on the ground.

The first photos also looks a bit too unbalanced for me. She is a little too centered in the frame particularly with the empty space on the left.

I do like the dreamy lighting you have on these and she is a sweet looking child.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    Mitchell wrote: »
    I suspect my eye prefers to see a known object like a bench to be squarely mounted on the ground.
    I think this explains my discomfort. Good point Mitch. You put into words what I just felt. Plus: In the first image, she has just the perfect lean anyway. Very well posed.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited April 5, 2011
    Thanks Mitch & John...you bring up excellent points.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    I can agree with the C&C you have recieved, but still...that first shot is somethin' else.

Nice exposure, color, DOF, and atitude on the part of the subject. Whats not to like?

...and speaking of color....I wonder what the first one would look like in BW? :D

Good to see a post from you here!